Search the forum,

Discuss iBox - Good idea, or asking for trouble? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

After spending what feels like a lifetime considering shower valves, i had settled on the iBox with suitable plate; exact one still to be decided). Then today, i watched a couple of videos on fitting concealed showers and from the many comments, it seemed that they were almost universally disliked i.e. concealed showers. To be fair though, the vids were for channelling-in the boxes and i could understand that it would be a PITA. My situatiion is different as i will have an 89mm stud wall, with rear acces through plasterboard as worst-case scenario if leaks occur

My reasons for preferring a concealed shower are that the recess is not that big (1000 x 800) and so hidden pipework will give a perception of greater space. Also, i feel that the pipes look ugly and so hiding them away is a good thing.

So, i guess my question revolves around whether i am making a rod for my own back by going down the path of a concealed shower, irrespective of my forgiving configuration? Or does my circumstance lend itself well to use of a (quality) recessed shower with rough-in box?

As an aside, i have 3.75-bar and 32 l/m flow-rate, along with a powerful combi that can deliver 20 l/m. I will have to use 15mm pipe though and i’m looking at a handheld shower head, along with a separate rainfall head.

TIA

Yes use an ibox.

Better to pipe it in 22mm if you have a rainfall shower head, but check the head flow charts to confirm this (hansgrohe have excellent product info for this sort of thing)

Don’t worry about leaks, just plumb it in properly and test well before closing up the wall.

Ibox is my goto concealed valve, providing customer has money for the finish sets, they can be pricey.

(please don’t say rough-in, we’re not under American control....yet...)

Hhmmmm you wont need anywhere near that sort of pressure these showers look nice but one word plastic vist a bathroom showroom and see these on display i have fitted some and yes look nice work ok and no issues as such , but I would point you towards Flova showers a better constructed and thought out all brass unit, their go click system is great from a installers point of view and fitting and maintenance is a simple process . Regards Kop

Attachments

• 15950551762565352647480303677076.jpg
    15950551762565352647480303677076.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 15950552007535645868133059835501.jpg
    15950552007535645868133059835501.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 15950552327682960765801194251827.jpg
    15950552327682960765801194251827.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 16
Hhmmmm you wont need anywhere near that sort of pressure these showers look nice but one word plastic vist a bathroom showroom and see these on display i have fitted some and yes look nice work ok and no issues as such , but I would point you towards Flova showers a better constructed and thought out all brass unit, their go click system is great from a installers point of view and fitting and maintenance is a simple process . Regards Kop
Thanks for the suggestion and advice @king of pipes. I checked out their stuff, but none of it is WRAS approved from what i can see. I would prefer approved stuff if possible and iBox certainly is. I take your point about plastic and as for the price of their stuff....whoa!

Crosswater do similar stuff and whilst their box is not approved, the plates are. Have you had any experience of those?

iBox is the way for me too, won't fit anything else but Hans Grohe iBoxes when concealed. In fact i've just had a replace a 7 year old Matki shower valve that started leaking in the wall for a new iBox. Regards to the plastic, don't know where that's coming from, as the Valves and back plate are fully brass...

Isn't cheap but works very well and lasts a long time. From memory a ShowerSelect front will do 24lpm at 3bar of pressure which is more than enough. If you want to save a bit of money the rainfall head you can get any make - I usually go with Roper Rhodes heads as they are a fair bit cheaper than any of Hans Grohes!

Fitted loads of Hans Grohe over the years and haven't had one issue yet.

iBox is the way for me too, won't fit anything else but Hans Grohe iBoxes when concealed. In fact i've just had a replace a 7 year old Matki shower valve that started leaking in the wall for a new iBox. Regards to the plastic, don't know where that's coming from, as the Valves and back plate are fully brass...

Isn't cheap but works very well and lasts a long time. From memory a ShowerSelect front will do 24lpm at 3bar of pressure which is more than enough. If you want to save a bit of money the rainfall head you can get any make - I usually go with Roper Rhodes heads as they are a fair bit cheaper than any of Hans Grohes!

Fitted loads of Hans Grohe over the years and haven't had one issue yet.
@EvilDrPorkChop Great response which i appreciate, along with everyone else’s!

Had the same idea about the head, but with no experience it is a bit daunting to mix-n-match. You’ve put my mind at rest in that front too!

As an alternative, assuming negative responses, i did look at their bar showers and wonder if they are a good choice also e.g. Hansgrohe Croma Select S EcoSmart 280 Thermostatic Mixer?

Have a look on amazon last time I look it was the cheapest around

@EvilDrPorkChop Great response which i appreciate, along with everyone else’s!

Had the same idea about the head, but with no experience it is a bit daunting to mix-n-match. You’ve put my mind at rest in that front too!

As an alternative, assuming negative responses, i did look at their bar showers and wonder if they are a good choice also e.g. Hansgrohe Croma Select S EcoSmart 280 Thermostatic Mixer?
Bar showers are also good, fit a lot of Croma 100 and Croma 160s. Just as good product. Croma 160 is a popular choice.

Thanks for the suggestion and advice @king of pipes. I checked out their stuff, but none of it is WRAS approved from what i can see. I would prefer approved stuff if possible and iBox certainly is. I take your point about plastic and as for the price of their stuff....whoa!

Crosswater do similar stuff and whilst their box is not approved, the plates are. Have you had any experience of those?
Your choice Steve sure it will be ok mate I have fitted all the major brands some are better than others I just don't like plastic components but that's just me , Cross water do some nice stuff fitting one of their shower cubicles next week good luck with the project . Kop

Attachments

• 15950869834143935397992199697751.jpg
    15950869834143935397992199697751.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 13
Your choice Steve sure it will be ok mate I have fitted all the major brands some are better than others I just don't like plastic components but that's just me , Cross water do some nice stuff fitting one of their shower cubicles next week good luck with the project . Kop
It’s only the green section that’s plastic, I don’t see how that differs from the valve you’re suggesting? The white plastic front inside comes off and you fit whichever front to the brass rear section.

Reply to iBox - Good idea, or asking for trouble? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock