Search the forum,

Discuss I was offered to use a leak sealer by a plumber. Concerned... in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I recently bought a house (was built in the 80s) and found 7 minor leaks in radiator valves and pipe joints. My plumber suggested using a leak sealer (Tec7 Plumb) to solve all the issues at once. I insisted to fix them in a more traditional way, so he retightened all nuts and joints but all of them are still leaking. Now it's just leaking less than before, like 1 drop for a few hours.

Now I'm thinking that the use of a leak sealer might be not a bad idea. But I'm not sure and I'm really concerned it may damage my boiler or something else. I had no experience with leak sealers before.

I have Baxi Megaflo 24 system boiler, vented hot water cylinder, a cold water tank in the attic, a pressure pump for a shower and that's it.

Can you advise me what is my best way to action? Is "Tec7 Plumb" would be a good idea to use in my house?

Thanks a million!

No just get him to remake the joints if the pipes gone bad cut back and solder in some new stuff

As above, leak sealer is a last resort. The sort of thing I might use if there were inaccessible pipework in floors leaking and the homeowner needed to keep the system going until weather improves or they can get the money together.

It's not a fix at all, just a temporary "get you through the last weeks of winter" kind of deal in my opinion.

Thank you, guys! It seems I shouldn't trust a plumber who is offering me a leak sealer first of all. All the valve and pipes are easily accessible.

Thank you, guys! It seems I shouldn't trust a plumber who is offering me a leak sealer first of all. All the valve and pipes are easily accessible.

The stuff (leak sealer) isn't useless but it has limited usefulness. If the pipes are accessible as you say, the joints should either be re-made or they should be replaced. It's almost always possible to disassemble a joint and use one of several available methods to seal it properly. E.g. Cut the olive off and replace, add PTFE around the olive or add a jointing compound. Failing that they should be replaced as has been suggested here.

Reply to I was offered to use a leak sealer by a plumber. Concerned... in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock