Search the forum,

Discuss I want to learn more about running heating systems on uncontrolled heat sources in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ric2013

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
I have the basic NVQ2 level awareness of wood burning stoves and gravity systems, but sadly this is one of the C&G (Maskrey) Plumbing textbook sections that should have been used for lighting the fire.

I could bore you with the specific situation with the bungalow, the existing woodburning stove, the Primatic cylinder, the lack of heat-leak radiator, and my concept of running the new heat-leak radiator on drops using an injector tee powered by the gravity flow from the cylinder, but it gets too technical and specific for this forum and so I'll keep it to myself unless anyone's up for the pain. :)

What I really am asking for is for recommendations for further study as I have decided I do not really want to progress my career down the gas route and would prefer to look into solid fuel and renewables. Some good textbook recommendations would certainly be appreciated.

Yes, that's true, but HETAS gives you more the solid fuel side. I have lived in a houseshare with someone who ran HETAS training courses and he gave me the impression that the wet side was not covered in any great detail.

It's the art and science of gravity systems that I'm more interested in. After all, I've been lucky enough to witness a ground floor woodburning stove running a radiator on the first floor via drops from the second floor, on gravity alone, via microbore. Conventional thinking says it can't be done...

Hetas do both the dry and the wet side.

Main thing is safety, especially when you get a power cut.

True, but a HETAS course [EDIT: (other solid fuel competent person schemes are available)] would cost me almost as much as my Level 2 (but without anywhere near as much contact time) and I can achieve safety by fitting a large heat-leak radiator to a system with 22mm pipe and without valves. This would comply and be safe and Building Control (a cheaper alternative to HETAS if you do very little solid fuel) would agree with it, but, having had this discussion with my housemate, it's about as much as you get on the HETAS course. His answer to my question as to where you put the heat-leak radiator in a bungalow was that most houses had an upstairs.

Obviously I can put a heat-leak at high level, but it won't look good, or feel like anything but a bodge and basically I want to know as much as I can for future jobs (plus my own house, eventually).

Let's leave the solid fuel element out of this at present as it's proving a distraction and rephrase the question as to whether anyone knows of any excellent textbooks that focus specifically on the art and science of gravity heating systems, or any specific courses on this.

Last edited:
As an aside, here's the full story.

The existing installation is 'relatively' safe. There is a gravity flow to a Primatic cylinder with an open vent to a loft cistern. The loft cistern is not designed for boiling water and is to be upgraded. The Primatic cylinder is much-loved by the customer and so has to stay (it's taken two years of several children nagging before she would consent to a heat-leak radiator as she is quite eccentric).

Heat loss from the unlagged cylinder is not sufficient to prevent kettling in the boiler and breakdown of the air bubble.

Lagging is not strictly required as the stove is the only source of heat and so the cylinder only loses heat to rooms when it is cold weather.

I have lived with a very similar system and can confirm that, although some authorities (e.g. Solid Fuel Association) consider this system to be safe, it is very unsatisfactory in cold weather as the need for water heating is limited but space heating is required all day.

While this Primatic cylinder will probably accept a couple of radiators on a pumped basis, the customer really just wants a solution to the kettling backboiler situation for the moment and I just want to do this the best I can.

Aye. Normally no space heating until hot water satisfied. Old school was to have manually switched pump to bypass clinder in cold weather and heat rads rather than cylinder.

Thanks for that, Simon. You've got me thinking outside the box of my own creation now! Because once the system is safe, any other rads do not necessarily have to run on a heat-leak basis... hmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to I want to learn more about running heating systems on uncontrolled heat sources in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

connecting free standing woodburning stove to indirect cylinder, by gravity, do i need to fit heat leak radiator?
Replies
Views
Hi I have recently bought a house which is 17 years old. There was a small leak from one of the radiators So I took the pipe off and drained the radiator and the water was black/brown. I took the radiator off and flushed it out with a hose pipe out the garden but it's got me thinking and I...
Replies
Views
Firstly I won't be touching or going anything... I only want advice if this is right.. my partners dad has a aga that is solid fuel unregulated heat source and a oil boiler. The problem the hit water cylinder doesn't have a stat thus why the hot water is roasting hot but there is a pipe stat on...
Replies
Views
E
I reckon if I did a survey of 100 heating engineers, asking what would they recommend for heating a granny annexe being built onto the side of my house, in place of the garage, most would give me a suggestion to put in a) an extension to the existing boiler rad circuit & electric water heaters...
Replies
Views
eco-heating options
E
We live in a 1980s four-bedroom detached house. The time has come for new central heating. The current system is a mild revision of the original heating installed when the house was built, and this revision was largely to replace a life-expired boiler: non-condensing fan flue boiler open...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock