Search the forum,

Discuss I need a hot water tank thermostat for hotter than normal temperatures in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a need for for a thermostat for a copper cylinder connected to solar power so I'm looking for an accurate thermostat which will allow me to store water at up to 90c ?
I have tried a bog standard Honeywell and a couple of cheaper stats but none of them even work up to the advertised 80c.
Can anyone advise me of perhaps a speciality thermostat for this purpose please?

Thanks

Mike

I have a few EPH cylinder/pipestats that go up to 90C, so can't see a problem if that't the type of stat you mean, how are you heating the cylinder to 90C?., solar thermal?.

Basically it's an immersion heater power from solar panels.
I think I have used the EPH thermostat before! It looks very similar .
It always turned off at a lower temp though. Maybe I was just unlucky .

thanks

Do you have a blending valve straight off the top of the cylinder to reduce the temp down ?

I guess your cylinder is a tad on the small side hence the question to up the temp ?

Yes That looks perfect !
Thankyou

BTW I didn't know tanks Had to be rated! I'll have to look into it but don't know how to check my tank.
Which stat are you looking at in the attachment? is the electromechanical rod stat?, also have you a top mounted dual immersion with a pocket for the stat or is it a single element with a stat pocket?.
Where, if on the cylinder are you attaching the cylinder stat.

I just attached my 90C EPH stat to the side of a kettle and it operated spot on 90C with a reset hysteresis of ~ 6 to 8C.

Yes cylinder is a Bit small.
I am looking at the Cotherm TSDH0701
It's a dual element with rod stat pocket
Boiler stat has been tried at several positions but is a third from the bottom at the moment
thanks

That high temp rod stat looks good.

Assuming a top mounted dual immersion,
Can/do you divert the excess power to the Immersion in a way that you can select sink/bath or is it dedicated to one element?

That high temp rod stat looks good.

Assuming a top mounted dual immersion,
Can/do you divert the excess power to the Immersion in a way that you can select sink/bath or is it dedicated to one element?
No I'm afraid not. I have a device that can switch up to 2 devices but it's not easy and I haven't got anything that I could switch it too.
If I ever get an electric Car I 'd definitely do that.

I was thinking along the lines that its connected to the immersion supply and that you switch it between one element and the other manually as required, the (rod) thermostat normally switches the common neutral for both elements, like the majority of top mounted dual immersions.

I was thinking along the lines that its connected to the immersion supply and that you switch it between one element and the other manually as required, the (rod) thermostat normally switches the common neutral for both elements, like the majority of top mounted dual immersions.
I always want the solar power into the longest element. I do have it wired so that it can be switched to the normal mains supply though and the tank is indirect so boiler can heat it as well. I have built all this myself and have a computer running the whole house. The thermostat on/in the tank is only used as a failsafe really.😀😀😀

Reply to I need a hot water tank thermostat for hotter than normal temperatures in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock