Search the forum,

Discuss I just can't seal the damn thread! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

adros88

Hi all. I'm fitting a towel rail in my bathroom and thought it would be a good idea to put an electric element in for warm towels when the heating isn't running.

The "T" piece which allows the combined water/element entry is a real buger to seal up :smartass2:. If I screw in the piece tght to compress the o ring the mid point of the "T" is no where near the pipework. So I assume I have to abandon the o ring and use PTFE or similar. Ptfe won't do it. I've got some Locktite thread seal but that's strugling too. There are only so many turns of tape I can put on or it won't phyisaclly fit in the thread.

Is jointing compound worth a go?

Cheers for any help

how many turns of ptfe are you putting on? oh and welcome along.

Hi. thanks for the welcome. Last attempt was 20 turns of ptfe

I've been reading up on here for months but this is my first post, long overdue really.

Try some jet blue on the thread, in conjunction with the loctite it should hold anything.

ok, that sounds like a plan. I'll pick up some jet blue and give it a go after work tomorrow. My friend who's a plumber is very unhelpfully on a beach in Cuba, so I can't pick his brains like I usually would!

ok, that sounds like a plan. I'll pick up some jet blue and give it a go after work tomorrow. My friend who's a plumber is very unhelpfully on a beach in Cuba, so I can't pick his brains like I usually would!
how inconsiderate lol

Normally put 18 wraps and smouther the threads in jet blue. Never had a leak in 8 years compression wise..

i have never ever used ptfe and compound, for something that needs to be water tight and in an exact position loctite 55 is the stuff to use as you can back the fitting up a bit to line it up and it will seal no prob

i have never ever used ptfe and compound, for something that needs to be water tight and in an exact position loctite 55 is the stuff to use as you can back the fitting up a bit to line it up and it will seal no prob

Youve never used PTFE for sealing threads such as tailpiece for a rad valve?

When I used to use PTFE tape I used to use 6 or 7 wraps. Any more than that and it tends to push off the thread. I now use half a dozen turns of Loctite 55 or a smear of Loctite 577.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

loctite is the top banana , i still use ptfe and compound tho , i use the compound with the ptfe as a fail safe not because it really needs it

I've just watched the "how to" video on the loctite website to make sure i'm doing it right. They say to roughen the thread first, seems a bit barbaric to me - do you lot do this?

Youve never used PTFE for sealing threads such as tailpiece for a rad valve?

Im sure kirk means he doesn't use them together. I was always told it was bad practice to use ptfe and paste of any kind together.

Try this:

Pipe Sealing

Use the stuff '18-10' that is easy to dismantle, because the other stuff does really lock metals together - good for outside taps and gas hobs fitted under drawer sets.

I have used these sealants for over ten years and they are the best by a mile. I used to buy them from antares international, but this company is now difficult to contact, so try else where - worth the expense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to I just can't seal the damn thread! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock