Search the forum,

Discuss I have a new Stelrad compact to install. To follow MI's or use Loctite 55 instead? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DarrenThomas

As part of the upcoming bathroom refit I'm replacing the exising 30 odd year old rad with a Stelrad compact. The existing one has no fins on the back, is avocado green with rusty bits. For the sake of £28 it wasn't worth faffing around cleaning it up and re painting.

The instructions say to use PTFE on the valve threads but I also picked up some loctite 55 as I need it for some threaded connections in the shower install (Trevi Boost) and wondered if I'd be better off just using that to ensure a seal first time out?

I've seen a lot of people sing the praises of the Loctite on here and elsewhere and mention how easy it is to guarantee no leaks first time out compared to PTFE which sometimes takes 3 or 4 goes to get it right.

Re: I have a new Stelrad compact to install. To follow MI's or use Loctite 55 instead

ive been using ptfe for rad valves for the whole time ive been doing this job, a while now and i get it right everytime..

obviously if you dont have a clue what your doing, it will leak.. and anyone who has theirs leak after 3 goes aswell is a mug

Re: I have a new Stelrad compact to install. To follow MI's or use Loctite 55 instead

I've never really had any issues with PTFE to be honest. Never used the loctite stuff, so cant really comment on that.

I use both and never have any problems with either. I always use PTFe on rad tails though as it leaves a neater finish. If you use ptfe then scratch the thread with hacksaw blade, wind on 12 to 15 turns of ptfe in the direction so that when you wind it into the rad it doesn't come off ( clockwise if you are looking at the threaded end of tail) and you won't have any problems. Hope this makes sense to you! Good luck.

I don't the 55 stuff I use 577 but I thought 55 was PTFE

PTFE and magic paste for me, never have any problems!

why use an expensive product when a 8pence roll of ptfe tape works perfectly? save the good stuff for when its needed.

Boss white and hemp if your a man, what are you Darren? a man or a mouse?.

Stag and hemp................. try and undo in a couple of years, I use 55

12 wraps of ptfe never fails for me

dont use your hemp, keep it for smoking!! :)

12-15 wraps of ptfe tape for me. Loctite 55 (and La-Co Slictite) for male irons and stuff like that.

Thanks for the replies chaps. I'll stick with the PTFE and save the 55 for the male irons i have to do.

I use 55 it might be more exspensive to buy but i think more ptfe winds up in the bin than gets used it either unrolls in the tool box or peels of the roll cock eyed at least theres no wastage with 55

For the sake of a few quid it cost me, and on the basis that I'm a DIYer so won't be needing it often, that's why I bought the 55. Even if it is more expensive, it's not like I'm going to be using it much and in the grand scheme of the cost of the bathroom refit it was nothing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to I have a new Stelrad compact to install. To follow MI's or use Loctite 55 instead? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock