Search the forum,

Discuss I have a major injury on my arm, can i still get into plumbing? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

A

AbdulS

Hello, i am new here and i am looking into becoming a plumber, however, around 10 years ago, my arm went through a window and caused severe damage to my nerves and my muscles, im somewhat recovered now, however my arm is only around 70/80% functional. I can do things like screwing things but trying to put a thread through a needle would be tough.

Im wanting to leave university so i am looking for advice from plumbers who have experience, is it critical that you have 2 full functioning arms, or is it possible to work with a fully capable one, and a support arm you can call it.

Thank you in advance for any help, anything is appreciated.

It might be difficult if you can’t tighten a compression joint, or another thread, if you haven’t got the strength. Or perhaps there’s a few wires want to be secured into a terminal strip, which can be fiddly.

Is there a reason you’re choosing plumbing as a profession?

To be honest I think you will struggle. I’m 36 and have had chronic rheumatoid arthritis since birth. At my stage I struggle to even lift a full kettle of water now, let alone do anything intricate. There are times now where I think to myself why do I even bother continuing thinking about my trade. I suppose the only real answer is I know a lot about what I’m trained in and I was always passionate about mechanical and electrical engineering. Realistically I should think about things I can do, which is unfortunately not much. Probably not what you want to hear but it’s an honest response.

Silly question: Is your injured left or right and are you left or right handed? (Train the other hand if the wrong one. E.g. I was a desk worker when I had a job and as a right hander switched to left hand Mouse on the computer after abusing the right hand for years with too much work)

Why not try a few bits of test plumbing and see how you get on. Compression joint as above would be good to try. Perhaps make yourself a small test rig - is there simple project you would like to try?

Just wondering if a tutor at a local college might give you a quick session to help advise you

It might ultimately depend on how much cash you want to make, as I guess your work speed could be reduced, but you would get there.

If it's really what you want to do rather than a tedious desk job then give it a go, you can always change.

Can I ask what you studied at college and why that doesn't appeal?

Also do you have a long term prognosis from good physio & doctors (are you / can you get any improvement?)

Very best of luck,

Roy (amateur plumber and too old)

In reality it would be very difficult for you, plumbing is very very tough on the body heavy lifting is unavoidable I'm afraid heaving yourself up into a loft space takes two good arms , bending copper pipe also requires all your strength especially 90° bends in 22mm pipe , everything about plumbing is heavy all the kit required the radiators , boilers, the sanitary ware, shower glass to name a few it's not unusual to lift well above your capabilities and is very demanding on the body . Only you know what your capabilities are but I would be advising you to use your brain rather than your braun and find a career than won't damage your body further .
Regards kop

When I was 19 out on motor bike had a car driver turn right in front of me.
Smashed knee cap broken collar bone dislocated shoulder.
The n h s succeed in not rebuild shoulder correctly.
Never had full use since but learnt to use other hand/arm you learn different techniques.
Still humping 230 odd kg combi's about on my own lol

When I was 19 out on motor bike had a car driver turn right in front of me.
Smashed knee cap broken collar bone dislocated shoulder.
The n h s succeed in not rebuild shoulder correctly.
Never had full use since but learnt to use other hand/arm you learn different techniques.
Still humping 230 odd kg combi's about on my own lol
I to carry injuries from broken bones in my 20`s a fall from height I busted my leg split my femur pushing it up into my pelvis , also broke my collar bone and damaged my spleen took two surgeries to patch me up, I'm 59 now and suffer pain from the past injuries and struggle on really hard day's at work kneeling all day plays me up , can you honestly say your pain free after a hard day ? Kop

I to carry injuries from broken bones in my 20`s a fall from height I busted my leg split my femur pushing it up into my pelvis , also broke my collar bone and damaged my spleen took two surgeries to patch me up, I'm 59 now and suffer pain from the past injuries and struggle on really hard day's at work kneeling all day plays me up , can you honestly say your pain free after a hard day ? Kop
Very rare without some pain I added 2 prolapsed disks along the way .
Knees were really bad from years of first fixing but went back to cycling about 10 years ago has helped a lot.
I'm 70 soon and reckon this will be my last year on site.

Don't laugh (too much) but (mostly) desk jobs can be very bad for your health. Had to give mine up in the mid 50's. I have got some injuries from site work. You need a job that gives you enough time off to do other stuff to build your fitness. Don't ignore this.

Cheers,

Roy (amateur at everything)

To be honest I think you will struggle. I’m 36 and have had chronic rheumatoid arthritis since birth. At my stage I struggle to even lift a full kettle of water now, let alone do anything intricate. There are times now where I think to myself why do I even bother continuing thinking about my trade. I suppose the only real answer is I know a lot about what I’m trained in and I was always passionate about mechanical and electrical engineering. Realistically I should think about things I can do, which is unfortunately not much. Probably not what you want to hear but it’s an honest response.
I also suffer from RA, have done since I was in my mid 20's. It's bloody painful when I have a flare-up, I had to retire from plumbing as it got to bad to work.

Reply to I have a major injury on my arm, can i still get into plumbing? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock