Search the forum,

Discuss I could do with some advice re. ATAG boiler in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Turning here out of desperation. I have an ATAG A325EC boiler that's throwing errors like there's no tomorrow. I know that ATAG are meant to be good, well built machines but I'm losing all faith in mine.

Started with Error 78 ('no pressure or pump failuire'). My normal heating engineer (not an ATAG expert) called their technical advice line who were 'confident' the water pressure device needed changing (£188+VAT+labour). After fitting, I got Error c1 18 (pressure too low). This then reverted to Error 78 again after a reset. ATAG technical advice assumed water lock and to wait. Waiting however produced Error c1 51 (fan failure). ATAG now suggest replacing entire PCB (£365+VAT+labour), but they're not sure if this will fix it. Their line appears to be: "keep on replacing parts until you find the right thing". But I'm paying, they're not! I could easily be near the £1000 mark if I replace the PCB, with no gauranteed reslution.

Are there any ATAG pros out there who could offer a little advice? This has been going on for a couple of weeks, with no hot water or heating. Thank goodness it's summer!

Right, I’m not an ATAG expert (never fitted one). But in the grand scheme of things, is irrelevant.

Most modern boilers work the same. They all have an order of operation. The boiler starts components and then checks for said components operation through various sensors etc.

Now, not to rubbish your usual heating engineers competence level but you need someone who is experienced in fault finding and is electrically competent.
Your guy maybe great at installs but lack the knowledge/experience for difficult fault finding.

The water pressure sensor should have been electrically tested to confirm if it needed replacing.

Pumps/fans/gas valves/sensor etc can all be tested and with a high degree of certainty proved working/dead.

Pcbs are slightly more tricky but you can test if it’s sending voltage/signal to the correct components, in the correct order and then confirm that the relevant sensor is sending the signal back to the board.

You can then determine which point/component in the boilers start up sequence is causing it to fail.

Customer services can’t conduct these tests over the phone and are only call center staff going through a script/flow diagram.

Where in London are you? Perhaps someone on here could help.

Thanks for your reply. I'm with you on the approach to fault finding and the tech support being call centre staff.

I'm in the Croydon area, so if anyone here feels they could help then please reach out.

In case anyone finds this thread in the future: took the plunge and replaced the control unit, and that's done the trick. The errors have gone and not come back. Has been a very expensive journey though, and at no point have I been impressed with Atag as a business. But I'll be happy that we have hot water again!

Many thanks for the feedback. ATAG's usually come with generous warranties, I take it yours had expired? Bad luck, we dont' see many complaints with them and it doesn't seem they offer a fixed price repair.

I have a atag and it's had a few things fail in the 4 years since I installed it but on the whole it no worse than any other boiler of the similar cost , glad you resolved your problem . Kop

Reply to I could do with some advice re. ATAG boiler in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock