Search the forum,

Discuss I can hear water in my pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi I wonder if anyone can give some some advice.
Moved into my house 3 weeks ago and over the last week I have noticed I can hear water running in the cold water pipes in the bathroom, airing cupboard and down by the stopcock in the kitchen.

We have changed the float in the tank in the loft and whilst the stopcock was off the noise stopped. We have turned all of the appliances off and we can still hear the sound. Checked all taps. We cannot find where the source of the noise is coming from but we are pretty sure it’s it the cold water pipes.

I am really worried we have a leak somewhere. Any advice as to where it could be? Or if not is it normal to hear the sound of water in pipes?

I have NO idea about plumbing at all so any advice would be appreciated. We also do not have a meter in our house.
Thank you in advance!

Pretty obvious that you need to get a plumber round to look.
Thank you for your comment. As a first time homeowner I thought I would ask on a plumbing forum for some plumbing advice before I spent money getting someone out in the instance it was something obvious. But again, thank you

What construction are the floors in your property and where does the pipework run from the stop tap? If water was continually running through your cold mains pipe, a tell tale sign is condensation gathering round the stop tap and pipe work leading from it. As above, check all tanks in lofts etc, also toilets. If they're all fine then be best to call a plumber in.

What construction are the floors in your property and where does the pipework run from the stop tap? If water was continually running through your cold mains pipe, a tell tale sign is condensation gathering round the stop tap and pipe work leading from it. As above, check all tanks in lofts etc, also toilets. If they're all fine then be best to call a plumber in.
We have floorboards and I know the water comes in behind our washing machine. I’m not sure where the pipes go after that but we are going to have a good look later on and I will see if we can see any condensation when we do so. Thanks very much for your advice! Much appreciated

What made you change the float in the tank? Was it overflowing? Could be an unbalanced supply issue.

Are you able to isolate the feeds to anything via an isolation valve? If so try turning them off.

What about the bathroom taps, the wc cistern, loft cold water cisterns?
I’m pretty sure my dad did turn the bathroom taps and toilet valves off but I think it’s might be worth trying it again to be sure as it’s hard to hear 100% with kids in the house! I’ll give it another go now they are asleep. Thank you for your advice it’s appreciated!

I have noticed I can hear water running in the cold water pipes in the bathroom, airing cupboard and down by the stopcock in the kitchen.
Is this running sound like the hissing of pressure through pipes or is it a trickling sound? Can you describe it?

Is this running sound like the hissing of pressure through pipes or is it a trickling sound? Can you describe it?
It is not a trickling as it is a constant sound all of the time. To me it sounds like water but I couldn’t rule out that it is hissing. It that common of pipes to hiss?

I’m pretty sure my dad did turn the bathroom taps and toilet valves off but I think it’s might be worth trying it again to be sure as it’s hard to hear 100% with kids in the house! I’ll give it another go now they are asleep. Thank you for your advice it’s appreciated!

No worries. As Craig has said, are any of the cold water pipes heavily condensated? Only other location you might be able to check is under the bath panel, failing that, you may need to enlist a plumber.

It is not a trickling as it is a constant sound all of the time. To me it sounds like water but I couldn’t rule out that it is hissing. It that common of pipes to hiss?
It's hard to describe in words I know. If it stopped when you had the main stopcock off, it must be after that (obviously) and if nothing appears to be dripping, no ball cocks are passing etc, than you may have a leak. It might be time to get a Plumber to look into it for you.

Just another thought. Sometimes a burst below ground outside can be heard resonating through pipework. I have know that sound to deaden slightly on closing the stopcock but not very often. As I said and others earlier in the post, a Plumber should be able to track it down.

No worries. As Craig has said, are any of the cold water pipes heavily condensated? Only other location you might be able to check is under the bath panel, failing that, you may need to enlist a plumber.
We are just about to have a look on the pipes to see if they are condensated as this isn’t something we had thought of. Good shout on the bath panel thank you! Appreciate your advice!

It's hard to describe in words I know. If it stopped when you had the main stopcock off, it must be after that (obviously) and if nothing appears to be dripping, no ball cocks are passing etc, than you may have a leak. It might be time to get a Plumber to look into it for you.
My partner thinks it is more of a hiss, it almost seems too constant to be a large amount of water as our loft tank is not draining. Thank you for your advice we are looking at all of these suggestions as we speak. Of course we will call a plumber if we can’t find out what it is but it’s really helpful!!

Just another thought. Sometimes a burst below ground outside can be heard resonating through pipework. I have know that sound to deaden slightly on closing the stopcock but not very often. As I said and others earlier in the post, a Plumber should be able to track it down.
My dad did mention that actually, that the sound could just be travelling through our pipes. Again, it’s really helpful thank you for helping me out!

Just an update! We just turned the stopcock off and the noise reduces but it does not stop completely. I’m hoping this means that it could be before our house and we are simply hearing feedback from it. Also there is no condensation on our pipes. Thank you everyone for your advice as it has really helped us this evening!

Is your house a detached, a semi or a terraced? Do you share a mains supply with your neighbour or do you have an independent supply?

No, a loss of water from your tank would indicate a leak or overflowing issue. Which tank?
Ah okay I see! I meant our cold water storage tank in the loft. I guess what I mean is that if it is the pipe supplying our house then The water board may help us out?

Ah okay I see! I meant our cold water storage tank in the loft. I guess what I mean is that if it is the pipe supplying our house then The water board may help us out?
The pipe supplying your house is your responsibility. Only the boundary stop tap and everything before it is the water boards responsibility. Your best bet is to confirm whether you do or do not have a leak on your mains and then contact to your insurance company and see if your pipes are covered.

The pipe supplying your house is your responsibility. Only the boundary stop tap and everything before it is the water boards responsibility. Your best bet is to confirm whether you do or do not have a leak on your mains and then contact to your insurance company and see if your pipes are covered.
Okay thank you very much for your advice!

Reply to I can hear water in my pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock