Search the forum,

Discuss I am looking for help with my NVQ L2 Maintenance and Fault finding in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

20190428_162343.jpg
20190428_162403.jpg
20190428_162426 (1).jpg
Hi guys! I'm looking for help from a Plumber with 5+ years of experience for my NVQ L2 evidence work,which will enable me to attend onsite assessment. I think it should not take more then 1 day to complete it.I just need to make some pictures that i am solving a problem basically and write down what i did to do the repair.And some information is required from the expert witness to confirm his/her professional experience. So if there is someone who would like to help. I live in North London/Chingford. But even if your located in different area i can travel it is not a problem at all. And also i do not take anyone's time and help for granted, so there will be financial reward as well. Thank you for your time! You can see on the pictures all the information required.

You can contact me to discuss the matter at 07572019074 or

[email protected]

Hi guys! I'm looking for help from a Plumber with 5+ years of experience for my NVQ L2 evidence work,which will enable me to attend onsite assessment.
Can I ask why you need this before you attend site (for assessments)? Surely once you are working on-site you will have the opportunity to complete all the required assessments for the qualification.

You can’t complete level 2 without working for a year and a day.
You will do these tasks on the job.

Can I ask why you need this before you attend site (for assessments)? Surely once you are working on-site you will have the opportunity to complete all the required assessments for the qualification.
I basically need someones details and just to put some pictures together. So i can do my application for tne nvq assessment. Im on a adult course and nobody told us beforehand that we need all that. I cant do it on site because nobody will take me on without nvq. I know what you mean but thats how are things nowadays. Everyones looking for people with nvq and experience. But how you can get the experience when nobody will give you a chance. But its just how things are. Tne Nvq now its just a stepping stone to find work. So people can see you have done some plumbing.

I basically need someones details and just to put some pictures together. So i can do my application for tne nvq assessment. Im on a adult course and nobody told us beforehand that we need all that. I cant do it on site because nobody will take me on without nvq. I know what you mean but thats how are things nowadays. Everyones looking for people with nvq and experience. But how you can get the experience when nobody will give you a chance. But its just how things are. Tne Nvq now its just a stepping stone to find work. So people can see you have done some plumbing.
I am sorry Nick but that is not how things are!
Whatever your age it doesn't negate the fact that you need time working along side trained people onsite, not just a couple of hours here & there but a minimum of a year or two.
If the NVQ is not to become a worthless piece of paper (like the diploma) then the assessments need to be completed correctly under site conditions showing that you can complete key areas of the trade & work under site conditions.
All that will happen if not, is you may get a start with an employer & last a few days simple because you can't plumb.

In fact the qualifications for Plumbing are shortly to change to a Level 3 course only with an independent trade skills test at the end (similar the the Electrical AM2).

I am really sorry you wasn't told of the on-site requirements & maybe you should go back to your training company if you have been misled.

I do understand your desire & wish you luck in finding the correct training. However it would be wrong for you to hold the same piece of paper as me purporting we where trained to the same level just because there is a lack of Plumbing companies willing to take you on.

I am sorry Nick but that is not how things are!
Whatever your age it doesn't negate the fact that you need time working along side trained people onsite, not just a couple of hours here & there but a minimum of a year or two.
If the NVQ is not to become a worthless piece of paper (like the diploma) then the assessments need to be completed correctly under site conditions showing that you can complete key areas of the trade & work under site conditions.
All that will happen if not, is you may get a start with an employer & last a few days simple because you can't plumb.

In fact the qualifications for Plumbing are shortly to change to a Level 3 course only with an independent trade skills test at the end (similar the the Electrical AM2).

I am really sorry you wasn't told of the on-site requirements & maybe you should go back to your training company if you have been misled.

I do understand your desire & wish you luck in finding the correct training. However it would be wrong for you to hold the same piece of paper as me purporting we where trained to the same level just because there is a lack of Plumbing companies willing to take you on.

Have NVQ’s ever been anything but a worthless piece of paper? Certainly the levels of plagiarism/fraud involved and the lack of checks and balances have dramatically reduced their credibility in most industries.

I know as an employer there not something I’d use as a means of determining a prospective employees competence.

You have to start somewhere though otherwise it’s completely undocumented

Have NVQ’s ever been anything but a worthless piece of paper? Certainly the levels of plagiarism/fraud involved and the lack of checks and balances have dramatically reduced their credibility in most industries.
I know as an employer there not something I’d use as a means of determining a prospective employees competence.
Unfortunately I have to agree but tell that to the apprentice's that have completed 4 years for hard grafted & know far more technically than the so call engineers they are working with, they only have it as recognition of all that they have achieved !
But then they won't be found out in less than a day on a site.

I also make you right regarding the levels of fraud across the industry & the once proud name of City & Guilds can no longer be trusted & has a lot to answer for IMHO.

However we all carry a responsibility from the plumbing companies who want trained & good Plumbers but don't ever want to train anyone, & those who sign off others work, right through to the colleges & training centres who "sell" the dream with a worthless course.

Oh & the customers who just want to pay bottom dollar for a highly skilled tradesperson!

Thank you for your comments. I guess I would keep on looking for someone keen to take me on before i get all that done. Im 26 but hey, better late than never. A lot of money down the drain. But as you all said, so many misleading training companies and distant learning courses. Its easy to fall for something too good to be true. Oh well...

You have to start somewhere though otherwise it’s completely undocumented

For me an apprenticeship is the best form of training. Assuming however the employing company has taken the apprentices on with the aim employing. Admittedly some companies seem to use them as a good tax dodge and free labour without investing any time/effort in mentorship.

I take any qualification with a pinch of salt and would generally take a prospective employee (paid) on a few jobs and let them lead the way or set up a simple trade test for them in the corner of the workshop.

Thank you for your comments. I guess I would keep on looking for someone keen to take me on before i get all that done. Im 26 but hey, better late than never. A lot of money down the drain. But as you all said, so many misleading training companies and distant learning courses. Its easy to fall for something too good to be true. Oh well...

There are training providers out there that will put you through the NVQ side of an qualification too.

Unfortunately I have to agree but tell that to the apprentice's that have completed 4 years for hard grafted & know far more technically than the so call engineers they are working with, they only have it as recognition of all that they have achieved !
But then they won't be found out in less than a day on a site.

I also make you right regarding the levels of fraud across the industry & the once proud name of City & Guilds can no longer be trusted & has a lot to answer for IMHO.

However we all carry a responsibility from the plumbing companies who want trained & good Plumbers but don't ever want to train anyone, & those who sign off others work, right through to the colleges & training centres who "sell" the dream with a worthless course.

Oh & the customers who just want to pay bottom dollar for a highly skilled tradesperson!

I can see why a company is cautious in investing in staff training, it’s an expensive hobby and I’m sure most will have experienced an recently qualified trainee jumping ship for more cash etc. I guess you have to foster a sense of family and show those you employ are more than just a number.

For me an apprenticeship is the best form of training. Assuming however the employing company has taken the apprentices on with the aim employing. Admittedly some companies seem to use them as a good tax dodge and free labour without investing any time/effort in mentorship.

I take any qualification with a pinch of salt and would generally take a prospective employee (paid) on a few jobs and let them lead the way or set up a simple trade test for them in the corner of the workshop.
I totally agree on the apprenticeship front however I have come across so many apprentice trained persons in the field and they do things dangerously wrong and will use the excuse that’s how I was always taught. The NVQ or college side gives structure and perhaps scientific or technical background which sometimes (not always) an older plumber who is set in his ways does not bestow, for example the most up to date regs or practices. I think it’s a balancing act

I totally agree on the apprenticeship front however I have come across so many apprentice trained persons in the field and they do things dangerously wrong and will use the excuse that’s how I was always taught. The NVQ or college side gives structure and perhaps scientific or technical background which sometimes (not always) an older plumber who is set in his ways does not bestow, for example the most up to date regs or practices. I think it’s a balancing act

Completely agree, I didn’t realise you could do an apprenticeship that wasn’t day release? A year in a classroom/training centre to learn the basics then a couple of years split between collage/site is an ideal in my opinion.

No one really likes maths/science etc but it’s surprising how much you can benefit from some basic understating of both in any form of practical trade.

I don’t think technically you can but when I was at college there was one fella who was also an apprentice but never got released to attend college. He was good at the practical but literally couldn’t grasp anything like regs, pipe sizing calcs, safe working practices etc my point is that had he been in college then he’d have been helped with these things. In ignoring the classroom stuff the poor sod essentially limited himself to pipefitting and nothing else because he didn’t have the knowledge to back up his practical ability. I think in essence the whole process needs an overhaul as there are too many people getting supposedly recognised qualifications and not actually having the skill set to back it up

I feel for you Nick & yes please keep on looking for a employer, 26 is not too old you have just got to go on selling yourself some employers prefer an older self-starter, maybe try getting a job as a Plumbers mate if you can't get an apprenticeship. Lots of work still going on in the city if you can find the companies doing the work.
All the very best Chris

Last edited:
I feel for you Nick & yes please keep on looking for a employer, 26 is not too old you have just got to go on selling yourself some employers prefer an older self-starter, maybe try getting a job as a Plumbers mate if you can't get an apprenticeship. Lots of work still going on in in the city if you can find the companies doing the work.
All the very best Chris
Thanks Chris!

Reply to I am looking for help with my NVQ L2 Maintenance and Fault finding in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock