Search the forum,

Discuss Hypothetical (or maybe not) situation! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PaulGas

Bear with me....

Bob goes to a job (CP12) System boiler with vertical flue. Working fine, gets flue analyser on it....Ratio 0.0700. Condemns boiler.

Boss goes round. Cant find problem. Not flue seals, fan, burner... Manufacturers called.

Technical say prob with flue. Flue installed (by other company years ago) found to be wrong flue. 100mm instead of 125mm.

Fit new flue. Ratio fine....

Now we have a few of these houses with these boilers on vertical flues. Boss doesnt want to replace all flues etc. Phoned Manufacturer who told him that "we shouldnt telegan the boiler just service it"??

Now tell me if im wrong, but even though a telegan isnt a vital part of the service. Now that weve found this problem. Surely we cant adapt the way we service the boiler just to make it pass the CP12?!?!?

interesting,the correct way,and your boss,really should do this is inform owners theres a problem,give them a price for changing flues.
me personnally would do as above ,if they did,nt want to replace flues ,i would stop doing cp12,s,for them or at least at those propertys.
Just think if flue cracked,came apart,who do think,the HSE ,GS will come looking to prosicute.if someone dies of co.the person who signed the last cp12.
All for £70

I'd walk away rather than change the way i'd do a cp12 - although not always necessary to use FGA I always do. Plus its your name and signature on the cert and like wnjswozo said what if crack in flue etc. you could end up losing alot more than a few quid if you carried on doing in with out the FGA

interesting,the correct way,and your boss,really should do this is inform owners theres a problem,give them a price for changing flues.
me personnally would do as above ,if they did,nt want to replace flues ,i would stop doing cp12,s,for them or at least at those propertys.
Just think if flue cracked,came apart,who do think,the HSE ,GS will come looking to prosicute.if someone dies of co.the person who signed the last cp12.
All for £70

very dodgy ground this, you do a CP1/12 and service it and it passes, remember the wee box you have to tick to say visual inspection of the flue PASS or FAIL? if you say PASS and miss the fact the flue is wrong, andthing goes wrong later, we go round clip board in hand and all info at the ready and spot the wrong flue, what does that say about your work? if you say FAIL you could class it as AR as the flue is the wrong size (but working properly !!!!!!!! when you were there) but should be turned off and addressed, either way very dodgy for your reputation and/or liberty.
i always try to look at things from different angles, or from a worst case scenario ( investigating/writing report for court appearence Victor Meldrew situation I tell the troops) IF you spotted the flue was the wrong size, SHOULD you have used FGA to confirm how safe it was JUST in case? IF you did you would have got a dodgy reading which would have led you to act accordingly and the people might not have been poisoned by CO

I'm not gas safe yet, but I would have thought there wasn't much in way of grey area.. I thought it was right or wrong? If you ticking saying its ok and it isn't....

Like i said. Bob came across one and condemned it. Weve actually stopped servicing any of them boilers at the moment. The previous company are being asked about replacing the flues etc. The most worrying part in all this is that the Manufacture of this certain boiler has told my boss that a telegan isnt required so theyre fine. Even though they know that the ratio in these boilers are too high. At the moment our company are going by the book so im happy but i just wondered your views.

Like i said. Bob came across one and condemned it. Weve actually stopped servicing any of them boilers at the moment. The previous company are being asked about replacing the flues etc. The most worrying part in all this is that the Manufacture of this certain boiler has told my boss that a telegan isnt required so theyre fine. Even though they know that the ratio in these boilers are too high. At the moment our company are going by the book so im happy but i just wondered your views.

i wouldnt be worried about this at all, the golden rule is MI top trump everything else, REMEMBER they make this statement with the caveat that the boiler is installed as per MI, the flue isnt so their responsibility ends there, and the poor sod who is working on the appliance will spot the dodgy flue when he does his visual inspection won't he??????

100 % agree with kirk,you sign it you take response-ability for it,your call really horlicks ads are bull you wont sleep at night unlike the poor family you have said its safe may not wake up ,yes i am being brutal but it can and does happen

Disregard the flue gas analysis. Did you say the aledged flue was too small? Could be AR anyway? Refer to Industry unsafe situations proceedure>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hypothetical (or maybe not) situation! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock