Search the forum,

Discuss Hydroflow HS38 in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Can anyone chip in here re the Hydroflow HS38.

I have a thermal store and just flushed out the DHWC with Fernox DS3 as it was almost completely blocked with limescale, v hard water here.

I am not a plumber per se but know stuff and was recommended a Hydroflow HS38 as an expensive but reliable unit to rid our system of limescale (not soften).

I may install a water softener, but for now wanted a solution to help stop me having to flush the coil again too soon.

Any pointers most appreciated!

Totally agree water softener is way forward i live /work in a area where water hardness is 440 ppm described as aggressive hardness! Water softener only method i have see or used that give effective results.
I have one fitted at home probably best plumbing job I ever did for myself.

Thankyou for your input, whilst i hope you don't roll your eyes thinking 'why the fck did he ask if he's doing it anyway' ;o)

I spoke with hydropath suppliers today who are adamant this product will work in my area and will prevent all limescale, 1yr guarantee and 3 years on parts.
British Gas Wolseley Intergas are apparently all reputable references for this product according to the helpful chap at Hydroflow (which i am following up tomorrow morning)

Having just descaled the hot water coil and mixer valve i know what condition it is in and how long it takes to fur up. If all checks out with references i will proceed and fit tomorrow.

Will follow up with a 3/ 6month inspection of the mixer valve and coil and report back here. Hopefully with good news, i just want to put this to bed whether it works or not.

Have you come across something called 'confirmation bias'?

Hey Chuck, honestly ive been reading and researching. I do use diynot forum where someone advised me there on this product. I researched his opinion and what i did find interesting was his photos of before and after using this product which were also shown on the product pages for Hydroflow. He insists he was a sceptic now converted and sent them the photos. If i was being a cynic i'd say he works for them.

I spoke in depth to the rep at the company who seemed to offer an assurance.

I am a fussy person on the whole and keen to research and normally eb to the cautious and walk away if needed.

Long term i am for sure installing a softener, but until the building work is complete using this as an interim fix.
As above im calling BGas and Intergas to talk to them about their claims, as i am still not convinced. British Gas he claimed insist these must be used on >350ppm hard water sites or warranty is invalid, so i want to understand this.

What i really don't like are bullshitters.

Believe me on that list for example are Oftec, another so called 'watchdog for safety and quality' so full of sh't i don't know where to start, they should NEVER be allowed to operate or exist as such.

So as i said im keen to see what these references say first.

I have the HS38 fitted to my incoming water supply it's been there 3 years or so it works to a point but we still get scale build up on the kitchen sink and bathroom fittings in the kettle its easier to clean away than not having anything fitted , I have fitted them myself to Intergas boiler installs as they were recommended when I did their training so they work to a point, but a honest opinion is their claims are slightly exaggerated and nothing will protect your home like a salt brine water softener, please check the compatibility with your system as not all systems can accept a salt brine softener aluminium is used alot in heating systems and doesn't work well with that . Regards kop

Attachments

• PXL_20201209_120145340.jpg
    PXL_20201209_120145340.jpg
    353.7 KB · Views: 10
Hi KOP thankyou so much for taking the time to respond to this thread. Interesting you refer to intergas which is what Hydroflow mentioned as one of their partners.
Interested when you say slightly exaggerated too and work to a point, are you saying this depends on the hardness of water or?
I believe we have particularly hard water here, only from experience of limescale build-up in the toilet bowl leaking taps and leaking pipes.

Our system is also particularly susceptible to Limescale as we have a thermal store and i am reliably informed water resident in the domestic hot water coil will rapidly form limescale there if heated beyond 85c which does occur as we have a water boiling stove (log burner with back boiler) in the circuit.

I think on reflection of your comments i may save my £100 and put it towards a water softener. At the same time i feel somewhat incomplete here in my research and or to help others who may be faced with the same situation as me and making the wrong choice, it really should be tested and stamped by some standard as able to do what it says within a certain criteria such as x PPM hardness of water. Public need this protection, it needs to be called out if it isn't or awarded and certified if it does.

From your information above I would definitely invest your money in a quality softener you are obviously in a very hard water area , I have had some experience of this working on bore hole systems in the countryside locally here in Norfolk which are very very hard the solution was to install a sediment filter at the water entry point and a blocksalt softener, the drinking water supply passed though a reverse osmosis system, before you do anything I would contact the manufacturer of the thermal store for their recommendation of your best way forward . Regards Kop

Reply to Hydroflow HS38 in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock