Search the forum,

Discuss HW only heats when CH is also active... but actuator is good in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi All,

I have a really weird (to me) issue/feature in a house we've just moved into.

The CH and the HW work perfectly fine when they are both active. That is, when both are switched on at the control unit. However, if I switch the CH off but leave the HW on, the water doesn't heat. The boiler doesn't fire up, nothing happens at all in fact.

At first I thought this must be the actuator valve, so I had that changed by a plumber, but it hasn't made any difference. I can see that the actuator is working though. If I enable the CH and disable the HW, the valve flips over to 'H' just like it should, and flips back to 'W' when I do the opposite.

I've had the boiler serviced as well and there's apparently nothing wrong with that.

My system comprises a high pressure HW tank (a Gledhill, installed by the previous owners), and in addition to the actuator there is a second 2-port valve running between the 'Primary Flow' of the tank and the heating pipes. I'm not sure what that's doing, or whether it could be related. It seems not, since the heating does work fine when both CH and HW are switched on.

I'm a bit lost. Could this be a wiring fault? Or, is it just a feature of the high pressure tank having been installed into a system that didn't have one originally perhaps?

Thanks in advance...

1. The two port valve in the primary flow to the heating coil is there as part of the safety system for an unvented cylinder. It will be controlled by a thermostat built into the cylinder, and will close when the water has reached its pre-selected temperature, regardless of what the rest of the system is doing.
2. As SJB suggests, some investigation with a multimeter is required.
3. As the 2 port valve is part of the safety system, any work on it or the rest of the cylinder requires an engineer with a G3 qualifiaction.

Thank you both for the replies.

I'm curious though, why would that valve being faulty affect whether or not the water heats up without the CH on?

One situation I've tested is when the water in the cylinder is cold. I switch the HW on, but leave the CH off, and nothing happens. In this case, it's not because the correct temperature in the tank has been reached already surely? The water is still cold. If I then switch on the CH, everything fires into life, and the water heats up normally, gets to temp, and stops heating... just like it should.

20200806_163611.jpg

Attached is an image for how your particular system is/should be wired.
Everything you said above suggests to me the end switch isn't contacting despite the valves being open, which is what I initially said. As it stands you are getting no switch live to boiler and pump despite the valves open. Multimeter probes in the right place will rule this in or out, although as said above by steadyon you need a G3 registered engineer to find and rectify the problem.
To be honest the person who replaced your three port valve should have stuck around long enough to find out if they had fixed it, if I was called out to this and replaced the valve and charged you for it, then I would be expected but also inclined to return free of charge.

Attached is an image for how your particular system is/should be wired.
Everything you said above suggests to me the end switch isn't contacting despite the valves being open, which is what I initially said. As it stands you are getting no switch live to boiler and pump despite the valves open. Multimeter probes in the right place will rule this in or out, although as said above by steadyon you need a G3 registered engineer to find and rectify the problem.
To be honest the person who replaced your three port valve should have stuck around long enough to find out if they had fixed it, if I was called out to this and replaced the valve and charged you for it, then I would be expected but also inclined to return free of charge.

Thanks, that diagram is really helpful. Don't worry, I'm not planning on touching any of this myself :)

To be fair to my previous plumber, I called him out specifically to change the actuator (which was definitely stuck before) rather than 'fix the whole issue'. Now that's done, I can see the actuator is now doing what it should be doing, but this particular issue remains.

Certainly useful to know that this is a genuine fault as opposed to just a bizarre feature of the system, so I'll call someone back in to take another look.

To be fair to my previous plumber, I called him out specifically to change the actuator (which was definitely stuck before) rather than 'fix the whole issue'. Now that's done, I can see the actuator is now doing what it should be doing, but this particular issue remains.

To be fair he should have got the whole picture and not gone off the customer’s request. If the actuator was stuck, and a new one fitted, I’d have expected the problem to disappear, as all the gubbins are in the new head (actuator). As @SJB060685 states, it should have been tested to make sure that it works correctly and he hasn’t fitted a dodgy one (a lot of Honeywell failures recently), if it was just a motor replacement, should still be checking the correct operation. Let’s see what the other engineer fathoms out.

Reply to HW only heats when CH is also active... but actuator is good in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock