Search the forum,

Discuss Humming noise constantly in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

T

TommyC

A constant ‘hum’ noise has started and I’ve traced it back to the water meter in the street in front of the house. The noise internally can be heard from the stopcock and you can feel a bit of vibration in the pipe work around the stopcock. The dials on the water meter are dead still when there is no water demand and I’ve checked over a 3 hour period suggesting there is no leak (no bill increase either). The hum noise is constant 24hrs. Shutting off the internal stopcock and draining all water in the system doesn’t make any difference to the noise. Nipped round to the neighbours and they don’t have the problem (meter’s are next to each other under the same cover)

The fact the noise is constant is causing a real headache to figure out. I think I have ruled out an internal issue aswell with turning the stopcock off making no difference. No drop in water pressure/ flow either.

Any ideas are welcome as I’m a bit puzzled on this

A long shot, but do you have an unvented (i.e. pressurised) hot water cylinder or, less likely, an accumulator tank in your house?

Thanks for the suggestions

No tank or cylinder in the house

I’ve spoken to the water company and they sent a chap out to replace the meter but that hasn’t solved it. Next they are going to replace the stop tap next to the meter as they think it’s this which has gone and causing vibration

Hopefully will be done this week as the noise is driving us nuts at night

To finish this off - water company came out, dug up the pavement before and around the meter box, found the pipe was not seated correctly in the stop tap causing the washer to vibrate and move around. They replaced the lot and now I have silence. Happy days

Reply to Humming noise constantly in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock