Search the forum,

Discuss HRM 15/20 Wallstar problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

atm

boiler 1.jpgboiler 2.jpg

Hi,

I have a HRM Wallstar 15/20 oil CH boiler that has had airlock/oil returning on itself problems in the oil pipe (the one inside the boiler casing, going to the boiler). The problems started following the yearly delivery of kerosene two weeks ago.

I called my heating engineer who managed to get rid of the trapped air and serviced the boiler whilst he was there.

Two weeks later the air lock problems returned so I have called him again and he advised that the integrated fire/non return valve I had fitted is a 'crap' design and they are prone to going wrong and is apparently a common problem with this type of wallstar boiler? I commented that I had the same fitting for 8 years without a problem and asked why it was now all of a sudden a problem. He said that the integrated fittings have outlived their useful life and recommended that I have a Tiger-Loop and replacement fire valve fitted to fix the air lock/oil returning back on itself problem at a cost of £210.00 which he did today.

It is now 11:43 and there is not a drop of oil in the Tiger-Loop - the heating engineer said that it would take time for the Tiger-Loop to remove all the trapped air and when it had finished this it would fill itself with kerosene and I would once again be able to use the boiler.

Can someone in the know tell me from reading the above and looking at the pictures attached if he has done a good job and the work was indeed necessary?

One other concern I have is that there is a waste pipe and drain directly beneath the boiler - when he changed the copper pipes to accomodate the tiger-loop some kerosene has been spilled on to the drain pipe and in to the drain - should he not have taken some precautions to prevent this and is it safe? Or will I need to report this?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Tiger loop should eat it. He did convert pump to a two pipe set up? Just off the top of my head, your getting air into your oil line.

It looks to me like he hasn't bled the fuel through! No oil visable in the tigerloop? it needs some to circulate the air out.
Also it is against the law to let oil spill into drains.

I have attached two pictures (links just above the start of my first post) yes it was a one pipe system which he has now converted into two. Just checked this morning (7.38 am) and there is absolutely no oil in the tiger loop.

I am going to get him back this evening as I wont be giving him the cheque until it is done properly.

Can you have a look at the pictures and see if it 'looks' right? I have never seen this before and it just looks a bit strange...

As for the kerosene in the drains, do i need to tell someone about this?

I take it that he ran the boiler before he left? and he removed the horseshoe washer or installed the two pipe screw to the oil pump?

It looks to me like it has not run after the tigerloop has been fitted, there would be some sign of oil in it

It looks to me like it has not run after the tigerloop has been fitted, there would be some sign of oil in it

I would have thought any engineer worth his salt would have run it and checked oil pressure and co2.

I have attached two pictures (links just above the start of my first post) yes it was a one pipe system which he has now converted into two. Just checked this morning (7.38 am) and there is absolutely no oil in the tiger loop.

I am going to get him back this evening as I wont be giving him the cheque until it is done properly.

Can you have a look at the pictures and see if it 'looks' right? I have never seen this before and it just looks a bit strange...

As for the kerosene in the drains, do i need to tell someone about this?

Has the fire valve tripped?

Just a thought, I have just remembered I had something like this on a grant wall hung boiler.
When the boiler was off the oil drained back to the tank, found a loose compression on the return to the tigerloop fixed that and also fitted a check valve below the tigerloop. Sorted the problem.

it is all working now and there is oil in the tiger loop but when the boiler fires up there are lots of small bubbles inside the tiger loop. he said that it is supposed to do this and it is normal? is this true?

with regard to the oil, i think they were only small amounts of oil spilt but should i be worried? should he have taken measures to prevent spillage?

Snap - we have that exact same boiler. Its been marvellous, but ours has recently started locking out. Think the filter is full of gunge! Typical plumber! It runs fine for a few days, and then out it goes. I'm not concerned though as we rent this place and move into our first mortgaged house next month....

The new place has no boiler issues, well it has no boiler, or central heating of any type.

Don't worry about a small amour of heating oil going down a drain it's only for big oil leaks anyone would be worried about
And as for air bubbles in tiger loop that will sort it's self out

First of all it is usual to have a small static air bubble in the oil line on this boiler , a continual stream of bubbles is a problem. If the reason to put the tiger loop in was to get rid of the air bubble you have wasted your money, that said a tiger loop can be beneficial. I would have put the tiger loop level with the burner, also You should use flared fittings which are better than compression (if compression are used they must have a copper insert), I cant quite see what has been used, all other comments about screw/washer are spot on. A tiger loop is good for about 4 mtrs, the HRM set up is good for about 2.5 mtrs
Tiger loops have their own check valves in them which sometimes fail.

I have air lock in my boiler too (Wallstar) and the chap has cleared it a couple of times but now he doesn't answer my calls so Im going to try to have to do it myself

The loop has air from the top all the way down the right to bottom

I saw him turn a scrrew(valve) when he did it before but can't remember which of how much he turned it

there's three possibilities AFAICS

On the RHS of boiler, sticking out toward me with alan key hole in end, there is one long 3" stub (black) with alan key hole, one short (silver) stub with alan key hoe and one nil stump underneath

I thick it was the shorter silver one he turned to get the oil lock to clear BUT how much did he fur it and did he have true boiler active (running) to clear it or not.

I can work out how to get the boiler going and how to stop quickly ( disengage plug)

urgent advice in this very cold weather much appreciated

thanks

Post up in the section "[h=2][DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL]" with your location and you may get a better response.[/h]

Get someone in.

one will be the adjustment screw, play with that and you'll be looking at a new boiler very quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to HRM 15/20 Wallstar problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock