• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net - The international free plumbing advice forum. Professional plumbers sharing advice with fellow plumbers and DIY alike. Register for free today! - Checkout the Plumbing Advice forum and then our Plumbing Videos area which still needs populating.

Discuss How to turn off cylinder in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

peterplumbingqueries

Hi, I've recently moved into a new house with a traditional heating system (header tank in loft, cylinder in airing cupboard, and boiler). I'm having a problem in that the hot water cylinder won't turn off completely at all at the moment, even when the central heating is switched to 'off' at the controls. This will turn off all the radiators except the one in the bathroom which just keeps going forever. Is there any way I can turn off the heating manually? E.g. there is a plug socket with a switch in the cupboard with the cylinder, but I don't know what switching this off will do. I don't want it to keep using up gas constantly, and the sound of it being on throughout the day and night is a little irritating. Any advice would be much appreciated! I've attached some images of the inside oft he cupboard with the cylinder if that helps.
Many thanks,
Peter

Attachments

You don't have permission to view attachments. Attachments are hidden.

Undertrained

Plumber
Gas Engineer
Solutions
Hello Peter,

• check the immersion heater, it may be on, so therefore the water is always heated, and turned on.
  • the cylinder thermostat isn’t strapped to the cylinder properly, and looks like the wrong cable has been used, and it’s located too far down the cylinder.
  • Where the programmer is located on the left hand side, trace that conduit, the wiring is in there and should go to a switch.
  • Is the boiler firing?

exedon2

Esteemed
Make sure your programmer (time switch) isn't set on constant, picture of it would be useful.
If it is in a switched off position you maybe have problem with the hot water motorised valve.

peterplumbingqueries

Hi, thanks for the replies. I've attached a picture of the programmer, if that helps, and the white box below it. The only wire from the programmer goes into that box, so I'm not sure if it links to a switch I could turn off. In addition to the plug socket on the opposite side of the wall to the programmer, there is also a fuse switch just above it - both have wires that go into the floor, so I'm unsure what they connect to.

Do you think it would be safe to try turning each of those off to see if they turn off the system? Or might those switches be linked to something important (I don't want to do anything disastrous by mistake!).

Many thanks again,

Peter

Attachments

You don't have permission to view attachments. Attachments are hidden.

exedon2

Esteemed
Your programmer is in the off position so if boiler/pump still running chances are motorised valve problem.
You will need a multimeter and be competent to use it to check it out.
Should not be any problem turning off fused spur to check if it turns heating off.

Reply to How to turn off cylinder in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net