Search the forum,

Discuss how to safely shut off bypass radiator in summer? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

layman1

hi,

i'm new, first post so please be considerate if i'm repeating what has already been discussed - i did do a search but without success.

my system; gravity fed, indirect HW, S plan, gas boiler that is at least 15 years old so non-modulating non_condensing i.e. inefficient but i'm kind of attached to it because it works and works well. cold water and expansion tanks as per gravity fed system in the attic above airing cupboard. TRVs on all rads except the one located nearest the thermostat and the bathroom radiator which has 2 lockshields and is from my lay point of view a bypass radiator - it is not controlled by either of the motorised valves and is immediately after the pump but before these valves. there is also a single gate valve in this mini bypass circuit.

so to my question:- it's late spring now and the heating circuit has been turned off on the boiler programmer. we only require hot water for hopefully the next 4-5 months. i'd like to avoid wastefully heating the bathroom everytime the hot water is heated. how best to achieve this and remain with a safe system that is not going to overheat? Does the pump run for several seconds after the HW motorised valve shuts off therefore requiring the bypass radiator to avoid flow restriction in the 'hot' boiler?

hope this doesn't sound too stupid and i look forward to some sensible solutions from experienced heating engineers

regards

layman1

fit an auto bypass valve in place of the manual gate valve. Turn the rad off when you want.

If you are that concerned about wasting energy and your hot water is indeed gravity then get it converted to fully pumped. You will save money and still be able to dry your towels.

If you are that concerned about wasting energy and your hot water is indeed gravity then get it converted to fully pumped. You will save money and still be able to dry your towels.

Agree with SG, but I like dry n warm towels as well

The OP said (2nd para):

my system; gravity fed, indirect HW, S plan,

The OP doesn't say which boiler he has, but a 15 year old non-condensing may not have pump over-run, so a bypass may not be necessary.

wow, thanks for the replies.

i'm unsure how fully pumped can save money over gravity fed. can someone send me a link that explains this scenario.

the boiler is a potterton profile 80e, how do i go about determining if this type of boiler does in fact require a bypass as suggested by DOITMYSELF?

thanks for all input, the towel has been deployed in the meantime....

looking at it again he has fully pumped s plan with a bathroom rad off the valves so he has year round towel rail as most of the world wants and acts as a by pass. Being that its an old boiler and system, turning off the rad will make b all difference to his gas bill, but means he will have wet towels and mold growing in the bathroom in due course and it will probably upset the balance of his heating system when he turns it back on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to how to safely shut off bypass radiator in summer? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have just moved in to a 12 year old house with a system comprising of a gas boiler with header tank and hot water cylinder also with header tank, there are no TRV's in the aiting cupboard around the 3 way valve is what appears to be some kind of bypass - highlighted in yellow - .... what is...
Replies
Views
I have a heating system comprised of skirting radiators that form part of a loop from the boiler, round the house and back. Some rooms get warmer than others despite closing off the skirting radiator heat vent. They are designed to house the finned heating pipe and a return pipe, the latter...
Replies
Views
  • Question
My daughter's place has a small water leak on a ground floor radiator valve. The radiator pipework is small diameter.i.e 8 or 10 mm. A plumber is coming back in a day or so to make necessary repairs. I am a little concerned as the house has a Boilermate 2000 on the upper floor and the...
Replies
Views
Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a gravity fed conventional gas fired boiler (Potterton Kingfisher MF). The boiler is fed cold water from the loft water reservoir tank (which also feeds the cold water taps in the bathroom & the WC cistern). There is an expansion vessel attached to this...
Replies
Views
Hi, Sorry if question already answered in previous posts, but I can't find a solution to the below: We recently moved house to a new home that has previously been extended. In one of the bedrooms that has been extended there are 2 radiators, one which looks like it was fitted when the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock