• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net - The international free plumbing advice forum. Professional plumbers sharing advice with fellow plumbers and DIY alike. Register for free today! - Checkout the Plumbing Advice forum and then our Plumbing Videos area which still needs populating.

Discuss How to run and insulate pipes under suspended floor in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

plumbobuk

After a CH install I've lifted the floor boards to find the central pipes unsecured and not insulated. The pipes are not even run next to anything to be secured to, and the access to the crawl space has been blocked with pipes. What's the best solution here. Should I rerun the pipes and clip them? Are there specific rules or regulations for securing CH pipes? What's the best way to insulate them? Any advice very much appreciated.

scott_d

Plumber
Gas Engineer
Is it copper or plastic?
nail clips or hinge clips, cut noggins between joists if needed.
Standard pipe insulation is fine in most cases

Best

Esteemed
Plumber
If pipes are run parallel below the space between joists, you could make a wooden U shape frame fixed to joists & screw pipe clips on lower horizontal piece of wood.

ShaunCorbs

Staff member
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Solutions
All round band and insulation

king of pipes

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Ideally it should be run like these but to often pipes are shoved through hatches , insulating is normally done in the ground floor void in foam or hair felt wrap this all takes time and patience, I alway taught my youngster to run pipes as you would above ground as much as possible supporting them well adding section of felt where you can get rubbing on joists from expansion and contraction . Regards kop

Attachments

You don't have permission to view attachments. Attachments are hidden.

plumbobuk

Is it copper or plastic?
nail clips or hinge clips, cut noggins between joists if needed.
Standard pipe insulation is fine in most cases
its copper
If pipes are run parallel below the space between joists, you could make a wooden U shape frame fixed to joists & screw pipe clips on lower horizontal piece of wood.
yes but i think they need to be clipped every 1.2m which means a lot of wood to cut and seems like a bit of a bodge. Would it not be better to rerun the pipes next to joists and clip them? Is there a problem insulating clipped pipes under floors?

plumbobuk

Get the installer back to finish the job ?
That would be nice but I'm worried about his competence and every time I ask him something he tries to pull the wool over. He's put false reedings on the paperwork and now I've had the gas inspector out we've found low pressure from a faulty gas pressure regulator as well as a faulty gas main, which he must have knew about. Inspector won't look at a lot of the issues because he claims it not in his remit.

Reply to How to run and insulate pipes under suspended floor in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net