Search the forum,

Discuss How to resolve new Rheem water heater banging/knocking noise in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hey,, new condo homeowner here.. I just had a 19 year old 40 gallon gas Kenmore water heater replaced over 3 weeks ago with a 40 gallon gas Rheem performance unit. I had it installed by a supposedly professional plumber. Upon turning on the HOT WATER tap only it makes like a banging/knocking noise repeatedly as I'm running the hot water. It even does it intermittently when the hot water is not being used. I bought it at Home Depot(mistake!) and they(Rheem customer service) basically give me the runaround as I don't want to bring it back there(Home Depot) for warranty replacement. Is there a easy/simple solution for this and has anyone experienced this. Not sure if it's the water heater or hot water pipe(s). Jerk plumber who installed it doesn't want to be bothered as I asked him about it. see attachment for clarification.. thanks

Attachments

• 20211219_105549[1].mp4
    44.2 MB
If the heater doesn't have some internal means to accomodate the HW expansion then highly dangerous especially if it doesn't have a PRV (safety valve) installed either.

If the heater doesn't have some internal means to accomodate the HW expansion then highly dangerous especially if it doesn't have a PRV (safety valve) installed either.
It has the safety valve on the side with the little toggle switch.. I wonder if an expansion tank would help. Maybe a water/air purge from the HWH? just on the hot water tap.. cold water only it's quiet

It has the safety valve on the side with the little toggle switch.. I wonder if an expansion tank would help. Maybe a water/air purge from the HWH? just on the hot water tap.. cold water only it's quiet

This is a typical set up, charging the expansion vessel to 5 PSI below the cold water pressure may help your problem.

1640301846592.png

Just to avoid focussing on UK regulation - US 'code' is clearly different. The Rheem instructions appear to say that an expansion vessel is not required where the property has no NRV already fitted in the incoming main. They allow expansion back up the main!

The "Use and Care Instructions" on the Rheem website show a typical installation (on page 9):

The clicking noises in the OP's video sound like thermal expansion of metallic components in the gas heater, not the sort of noises I associate with coming from the pipes - but I'm not a professional plumber.
So could this just be a 'feature' of the design??

7B50D9F5-2D0E-4D0B-8846-D56E2C0FB816.jpeg

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with expansion up the main (in UK Water Regs anyway, subject to some caveats and manufacturers' instructions) BUT if the shut-off valve or valves on the mains (British = stopcock) are of the screwdown type with a loose jumper, this can (and was often designed to) act as a primitive one-way valve, and thus will not reliably allow expansion up the mains.

I don't know the answer to your question, but if others are correct about lack of provision for expansion being a possible cause, it may be worth seeing if my suspicion has any basis.

Reply to How to resolve new Rheem water heater banging/knocking noise in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock