Search the forum,

Discuss How to replace thermostat cartridge in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi Folks, Need your advice on how to access a thermostat cartridge to fix/replace. Please see pics below. I have manged to to get the main shower control cartridge out as it is leaking badly. But now need to sort the thermostat/mixer out now as very stiff and difficult to turn to cold. The problem is I can't work out how to get the chrome surround off, which I am assuming I need to do to access it. It is the bottom one in third picture. Could anyone please advise?

Attachments

• 20220917_103632.jpg
    20220917_103632.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220917_103654.jpg
    20220917_103654.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 20220917_103624.jpg
    20220917_103624.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Have got chrome collar off, but now can't work out what to do next.

Attachments

• 20230227_100812.jpg
    20230227_100812.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20230227_100802.jpg
    20230227_100802.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 20230227_100751.jpg
    20230227_100751.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230227_100742.jpg
    20230227_100742.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 12
Bigger spanner.

If using adjustable spanner, ensure a perfect fit to prevent rounding it off. Get a steel tube to put over spanner handle for more leverage.

I’ve never come across one that I’ve needed to heat or won’t eventually come out.

Show it who’s boss!

Sometimes the flat sections on the brass will round off even with a good spanner. In that case, a quality Stilson wrench may be usefully employed.

Sometimes the flat sections on the brass will round off even with a good spanner. In that case, a quality Stilson wrench may be usefully employed.

If you haven’t got a set of the Rothenberger R type wrenches, you’re missing out.

Once they’ve bit, they rarely slip. I’ve got them in 6”, 8” & 12”. The 6” ones are great because they close small enough for turning old seized stopcock/gate valve spindles.

3F90A94C-62E5-45FE-8703-D190C3564242.jpeg

If you haven’t got a set of the Rothenberger R type wrenches, you’re missing out.

Once they’ve bit, they rarely slip. I’ve got them in 6”, 8” & 12”. The 6” ones are great because they close small enough for turning old seized stopcock/gate valve spindles.
Toolbox already overfilled. Actually considering removing the Footprint wrench: I put it in when I started out as it's a classic tool, but in reality I have yet to find a use for it that something else won't do better.

My UK-made Record leader wrench (found on a roundabout!) is amazing though.

Toolbox already overfilled. Actually considering removing the Footprint wrench: I put it in when I started out as it's a classic tool, but in reality I have yet to find a use for it that something else won't do better.

My UK-made Record leader wrench (found on a roundabout!) is amazing though.
Tbh, I might remove my footies, can’t remember the last time I used them....

I bought the wera joker self setting spanner, I thought if it could do both 15mm and 22mm compression nuts, it would be handy in tight spaces.

I emailed them to confirm the jaw could fit 22mm, they confirmed.

Bought it, some 22mm nuts don’t fit and its a pain in the bum to use.

Very disappointed, love all my other wera tools. Complete waste of money. Used it once and never again.

Tbh, I might remove my footies, can’t remember the last time I used them....

I bought the wera joker self setting spanner, I thought if it could do both 15mm and 22mm compression nuts, it would be handy in tight spaces.

I emailed them to confirm the jaw could fit 22mm, they confirmed.

Bought it, some 22mm nuts don’t fit and its a pain in the bum to use.

Very disappointed, love all my other wera tools. Complete waste of money. Used it once and never again.
Perhaps they thought the nut dimension was 22mm?

Reply to How to replace thermostat cartridge in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock