Search the forum,

Discuss How to replace outside stopcock in a rusty steel pipe in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

What’s the correct way to replace a (jammed and leaking) stop-cock in an old and corroded ½ steel pipe without damaging the pipe?

The pipe in question is a main water supply pipe for a house and dates from (I guess) the 1970s. It’s from a shared supply for myself and the neighbouring half dozen houses, so unfortunately, it’s my problem and the local water company won’t help

If the pipe were new then it could just be cut through, a thread tapped onto the end and a new stopcock screwed on.

My concern is that after 50+ years in the ground the pipe may not be able to cope with the forces involved in cutting a new thread into it. Is there another solution? Something that involves less brute force? Maybe a new section of pipe could be bonded on somehow? I can’t just remove the corroded section of pipe because it’s probably equally corroded all the way under my house to the water company pipe under the street outside – having to replace the whole lot would be an expensive nightmare.

I don’t want to take a problem that is currently just mildly annoying and turn it into a major disaster, if I cut the old stop-cock out and then find I can’t attach a new one I’m up the proverbial creek without a paddle.

Is there a way to do this, or maybe I should just ignore it for the moment?

Philmac utc maybe helpful

Depending on how the current stopcock is fitted, perhaps a male iron threaded fitting may suffice? I remember trying to just bend down a steel pipe when I was an apprentice, it leaked 3 times afterwards 😲

Reply to How to replace outside stopcock in a rusty steel pipe in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock