Search the forum,

Discuss How to replace gas pipe clips? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a copper 22mm gas pipe about 10m long fitted to the outside wall by a Gas engineer using plastic clips with spacers. The clips have become brittle with age and are breaking up. The pipe passes through the brickwork and has no flex in it. Any ideas on how I can replace these clips as the fixing holes are directly behind the centre line and are inaccessible. I’m a competent DIY‘er with a decent range of tools.

Any pictures of said clips and rough distance off the wall to centre of pipe ?

Shouldn’t have been plastic clips to begin with. Brass munsen clips would also likely work.
Hi... Just spotted this thread.... A registered gas boiler fitter just installed a new boiler on a property am working on, and another plumber has said he should not have used plastic hinged clips.... The pipe is 22mm,external and 8' off the ground.... Is there any current regulations which tells you which type of clips to be used.... Thanks martin

This is a good question. I worked with a RGI who insisted that A a gas pipe MUST be supported by hinged/cover clips as a minimum if indoors, and B a gas pipe must not rely on plastic clips at all if external, but other plumbers I have met who have worked with RGIs say these are rules my RGI has made up (though they certainly seem to be a best-practice approach).

Would be nice to know who is actually right.

Plastic are fine exterior aslong as there uv rated but I wouldn’t always brass musoons for me

No plastic on my jobs chaps

Attachments

• PXL_20210316_085721844.jpg
    PXL_20210316_085721844.jpg
    578.7 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20210804_115815807.jpg
    PXL_20210804_115815807.jpg
    594.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20211104_144632597_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211104_144632597_HDR.jpg
    396.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20220813_142829344.jpg
    IMG_20220813_142829344.jpg
    489.7 KB · Views: 14
Many of the houses nearby (built about 30 years ago) have had the original internal pipes replaced by gas pipes clipped to the outside of the building by white plastic clips. The Talon website states ‘UV Stabilized, therefore will not discolour’.

UV stabilised does not mean UV resistant.

Polypropylene is highly susceptible to degradation by UV radiation in its base form (i.e. no pigment or additives). The material becomes brittle after prolonged exposure. In fact, basic polypropylene can lose up to 70% of its mechanical strength after 6 days worth of exposure to high-intensity UV radiation. It should be noted, however, that even with the additives, polypropylene will still degrade relatively quickly when exposed to sunlight for a prolonged period of time.

In my opinion, it is only a matter of time before the polypropylene clips exposed to the sun crumble leaving the gas pipes hanging of the walls.

Reply to How to replace gas pipe clips? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have an old gas pipe in the understairs cupboard. The previous occupants had the gas meter moved, but this old pipe remained. This pipe goes behind the electrical CU which I'm due to have replaced soon. We are looking to cut the old pipe out, but trying to working out what material it's...
Replies
Views
Hi, Non-professional / knowledgeable person here. I'm a Brit in Romania who volunteers for a charity building an old peoples home for needy old people. Out here competence and integrity is harder to come by in a worker, in fact it's hard to find workers at all where we are in the countryside...
Replies
Views
R
After some advice, had a gas fire removed and now left with the pipe capped and a hole which houses the pipe which was behind the fireplace. How is best to cover this up and fill it please?
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
    • Informative
Why am I not surprised? Britain’s gas network still using engines from 1960s RAF fighter jets Ageing aircraft turbines will cost millions to replace, says National Gas chief Jonathan Leake14 January 2024 • 5:49pm Mr Butterworth, chief executive of National Gas, says the network is powered by...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm a first time poster with a skill set akin to that of a competent DIY'er I guess. I'm planning on replacing a old in efficient one pipe system with a flow and return. This will be done on our recently purchased bungalow which has an oil fired boiler. Whilst I'm confident a 22mm flow and...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock