Search the forum,

Discuss How to removing valve with hemp paste on?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

beesley121

Hi guy,

I'm trying to replace a 2 port valve with hemp and paste on it. I tried everything to get it to move but it won't budge

Any ideas other than cutting the pipe as it's 28mm and I don't want to have to buy a length and fittings for a little job

Help please!!

I have a big adjustable and big set of grips that come in very handy at such times.
could you cut into the nut to loosen it?

Lots of Heat & a hammer ! Get it nice & hot then a few hits on the brass nut usely shifts it !!

Try WD40. If no good, heat. I do not really know what is in WD40 to do it but I think I recall it softens the hemp even if the paste and have gone hard.

Heat, leverage and brute force. Get it hot enough and it always shifts as long as your not melting anything in the viscinity.

Lots of heat and when you get your Gordon's on try not to squeeze the nut, grip tight but not squeeze if you know what I mean lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I had THE most stubborn immersion heater today.

Tried heat, then crack it release spray, then pipe freezing spray, then heat again, and shocking it with a lump hammer...... in the end I had to cut two slots into the body of the element so when I put the immersion spanner on it, and levered (with 24" stilli's I should add) it eventually cracked and went.

Moral or the story, persistance over comes resistance!! LOL

I made myself an immersion spanner out of an old box spanner, I welded the box spanner into a pipe about a foot long with a 2 foot handle on it .
hard to explain but it's never struggled on any thing since!

I had THE most stubborn immersion heater today.

Tried heat, then crack it release spray, then pipe freezing spray, then heat again, and shocking it with a lump hammer...... in the end I had to cut two slots into the body of the element so when I put the immersion spanner on it, and levered (with 24" stilli's I should add) it eventually cracked and went.

Moral or the story, persistance over comes resistance!! LOL

I made myself an immersion spanner out of an old box spanner, I welded the box spanner into a pipe about a foot long with a 2 foot handle on it .
hard to explain but it's never struggled on any thing since!

My immersion spanner is a box spanner, that I fix a bog set of two foot stilsons to. I was gonna bend the cylinder before I got it out with brute force alone. I'm not a small bloke and I was pushing on it with every ounce of strength I had!! Never had one like it before.

I like your idea, and would like one myself!!

There was a battered B&Q immersion spanner in the airing cupboard!! Someone else had tried it before me, and bent their cheapy spanner!

The problem with excessive force is that you can tear the copper cylinder. Also if you use heat on a cylinder insulated with foam you are asking for trouble.

The problem with excessive force is that you can tear the copper cylinder. Also if you use heat on a cylinder insulated with foam you are asking for trouble.

True, I sprayed libberal "cool gel" around the insulation. I used the blow torch in the immersion spanner (socket type). It didn't damage the insulation one bit.

I wasn't giving it loads and loads of heat. I did give it loads of welly though. I had warned client that the cylinder might distort. I always do, before I start any immersion swap.

Luckilly it was a good thick walled cylinder. Not like some of the thermals stores I've dealt with. The Gledhill Pulsacoils. It's waffer thin on those. Never damaged one, but I'm sure loads of em must be in the great scrap heap in the sky.

I put a tutorial for a failsafe way of removing a stuck in immersion element on the hints and tips section. A dremel would be an alternative to using a hacksaw blade as I suggested then.

Yeah, I read it. I pretty much did as you say, but I used a multisaw with a metal blade. Instead of cutting all the sections out, I simply took a piece out (like a slice of pizza) then when you crank it, the immersion will slightly distort and break the seal.

Worked for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How to removing valve with hemp paste on?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock