Search the forum,

Discuss How to remove brass male iron threads from LCS socket? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Ric2013

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Hi,

As some of you are aware, I am currently stuck in Italy running a shop that has nothing to do with plumbing :(

Yesterday I thought I'd got most of what I needed to get done by lunchtime and was able to take the rest of the day 'off' (which actually means try to get done the things that are hard to do when you are working 7 days a week) and leave my aunt in charge.

Which was when I noticed the water dripping through the concrete ceiling of the shop and onto a magazine :)

Turned out not to be the LCS pipes that are buried in the wall and floor of the flat above, but a flexi connector failing near the thread where it screwed into a 1/2" BSPP LCS socket that is buried in the wall. Obviously the male thread on the flexi sheared off when I tried to unscrew it, so I was left hacksawing out the remnants and levering out bits of male thread with a screwdriver so I could fit a new flexi. Given that the use of a hacksaw at 90° to the threads created a groove in the female thread, Loctite 55 did not seal, nor did PTFE tape. Neither would stay in place as the threads kept chewing everything up.

Had I been in the UK I would have given LSX a go. As I am in Italy where hemp and paste still appear to be legal on potable water, I did it the old-fashioned way and it worked, which is just as well as I don't know if LSX even exists over here.

What has occurred to me is that it would have been infinitely better to have removed the brass threaded tail from the LCS socket without damaging the socket in the first place, but I'm not sure how I would have gone about it. Had I been in the UK with my tools, I might have tried an easy-out, but I have a feeling it wouldn't have worked anyway. In any case, a 1/2" BSP male iron would have needed a rather large easy-out.

Any tips?

Cross cut cold chisel always seems to work for me. bash it in then use adjustable spanner to turn it

Thanks for ideas. Couldn't have used them yesterday as didn't have those tools, but will bear them in mind if I come across this again when I'm back working.
I would have tried tapping the stud around with a hammer and screwdriver, but the pedestal had been grouted into place and this made access more difficult!

Had I been in the UK I would have given LSX a go. As I am in Italy where hemp and paste still appear to be legal on potable water, I did it the old-fashioned way and it worked, which is just as well as I don't know if LSX even exists over here.
- old thread I know but have you managed to find some lsx out there or do you need a Red Cross, expat plumber's, mercy package of lsx and boss white sending over?

Big screw extractor or a nipple extractor

- old thread I know but have you managed to find some lsx out there or do you need a Red Cross, expat plumber's, mercy package of lsx and boss white sending over?
Thanks, and that is a very kind offer but I managed to get some hemp and paste (similar to Jet Blue) that did the trick. And, when the entire pipe system is hemp and paste (which seems to be legal over here), I was happy with that.

Last edited:

Reply to How to remove brass male iron threads from LCS socket? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

This is driving me bonkers! I have a Jaquar shower mixer unit - which has started to leak from the diverter cartridge. I think it's an early Florentine model circa 2006 though not 100% sure. I've removed the faceplate, unscrewed the chrome collar - and now want to extract the diverter...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have just tried to repair a very old Mira 8 shower unit. However, when trying to remove the brass cover plate it's completely scaled up and it won't budge any ideas on how to free it up. We did think about trying to heat up the bass cover plate but we are concerned about the silver outer...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise coming from my copper water pipes when no water is being used? It basically sounds like the noise you hear after the water shuts off when your toilet bowl...
Replies
Views
D
I wonder if anyone can help, I've tried several plumbers merchants to no avail. I have removed an old stopcock, (which seized long ago, with a newer stopcock just above) as it had been leaking from several places, mainly at the bottom where it joined the 3/4" threaded female end on rising main...
Replies
Views
I have read a few threads including one by Debbie Stano that were similar to my issue but that thread stopped a while back without any resolution I could see. I'm in Brisbane, Australia but I'm after general ideas from anyone here or in UK (I realise this is a UK based site). Point form...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock