Search the forum,

Discuss How to remove a glued cistern in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Morning everyone. We have a leak from one of cistern holding down bolts on our close coupled WC. This has occurred after a plumber replaced the flush valve yesterday. The problem is now that the plumber says he can't get the cistern off to replace the bolts because it is glued ( probably silconed ) to the wall. He was aware of this before he quoted on the flush valve job and the method we discussed allowed for the removal of the cistern. He is now suggesting a full replacement of the cistern and WC instead. At the moment our leaking toilet is isolated from the water supply. A few questions: I assume it is correct that to replace the holding down bolts the cistern has to be removed and other techniques such as trying to seal the leaking bolt won't work. Is this correct? I know that removing a glued cistern is a pain, but is it possible using a cheese wire or hacksaw blades? Are there any other things we can investigate to avoid the significant cost of a brand new WC? All advice gratefully received.

Normally its just 2 blob of sealant pumped tho fixings holes.
Easily cut through with a sharp blade.
I have a thin 45mm wide scraper sharpened up to do the job.
Hacksaw blade old handsaw whatever you can get in.
Or alternatively get a more experienced plumber!

As above, blades, knives, wires,, plenty of solutions to removing it without breaking it.
Wire from a MIG welder.

And also as above, new plumber.

Cheese wire I use

Thanks to all. The solution turned out to be a flexible carving knife to cut through what turned out to be 4 large blobs of silcone. It took about an hour to do it carefully, but the cistern is now off and in one piece. I also found it useful to carefully tap in some hard plastic wedges as I went, to stop the knife blade becoming stuck. Plumber now called back to finish the job originally asked to complete. As ever, this forum is the business for getting practical advice. Cheers

Reply to How to remove a glued cistern in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock