Search the forum,

Discuss How to re- train at 55 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ash2051

Hi oldplumber
I have just read your thread and thought you could help me please. Getting training of plumbing and gas safe through training centers is worthwhile or a waste of time as I have discovered in Goggle tonight? There are all negative comments about these centers, otherwise at age 55 where could one learn about these trades
Thanks

Re: Power shower pump problems - please help

At 55 you have no choice but to go on one of these courses as you, sadly, have no chance of getting on as an apprentice

So its a case of picking a feww centres most local to you and poppin down to view, checking they are C & G accredited and going from there

Tom's reply is correct but stop and think for a bit as to where you want to go with this change of direction. Going through the entire range of courses is going to be very costly. Do you need to be gas qualified? yes you may (and the market is saturated) well eventually earn more than a 'general' plumber, but equate the trade-off in terms of time and cost V return (business plan). Perhaps you do need or want to train as a plumber, but if for example, your mortgage is almost paid and your outgoings are not as huge as maybe someone in their 20's, but you do still need/want to earn money, then embarking on the more basic courses will enable you to go out and start earning - but do keep within your capabilities - and give you an income in your own business. Of course I am generalising many aspects here just to offer an overview. If you have never been self-employed before, understand that it is a huge leap in the dark. You will need to be 'comfortable' with periods of uncertainty and it can be an isolated existence: this is true of course for any self employment, not just plumbing and if you have family, they need to be prepared for this too. Good Luck.

chatting to a mate today we agreed that plumbers/gas installers have to have a wider breadth of knowledge comparable to other trades from leadwork to electrics to gas etc etc. They carry more tools , spares, testing kit than other trades, at a greater cost/investment. Bot everyone usin g a plumber thinks they overcharge etc etc. Its time we put more effort into raising our image and improving our lot. Back to the thread, why therefore do you want to be a plumber, if anything else will make you reconsider, your knees get shot early on if your young, mine are gonners and i only started plumbing full time at 48 really, 4 years back and if you want to train you can use the local college over 4 years and go self employed and get financial help via the college and it wont cost you anything like 10k these short course boyos charge. So if u chage your mind later youll have money in your pocket still

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How to re- train at 55 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock