Search the forum,

Discuss How to properly disconnect a gas fire in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

I need the gas supply to my gas fire capped as I want to remove my gas fire. I attach a photo of the elbow restrictor, which has a shut off valve underneath it. I have been given a 'provisional estimate' of £150 for the job by one gas safe engineer (which makes me think that he doesn't want the job, but perhaps I'm underestimating the amount of work involved).
IMG_20180808_154046319.jpg

I understand that leaving the elbow restrictor in situ and bunging it up to cap off the gas supply isn't a proper and safe way to do it. I would be grateful if anyone could give me an outline of what needs to be done, e.g. what part -if any - needs to be installed in place of the elbow restrictor and whether the pipe with the shut off valve that's underneath the elbow restricter would need to be excavated and replaced with something else (in case the shut off valve were to ever not work properly and leak).

Thanks in advance.

Needs to have a gas safe engy to disconnect and test

Unfortunately we cannot give Gas Safe advice to non Gas Safe engineers. You definitely need a professional to do it for you as it is not just a case of capping the supply. In my opinion the price quoted is a little high. However it depends on your location and the engineers hourly rate. I would call a few more engineers and see what they say to get a comparison price.

As mentioned above the only way to properly disconnect a gas fire is to make sure a Gas Safe Registered engineer does it. £150 is a high price to pay though. I suggest you use the 'find an engineer' search on the Gas Safe Register web site and call a few local engineers who have "HTR1 qualifications" on there licence, for an over the phone estimate. An estimate over the phone for my area would be around £55 - £85 ish, depending on what we find when we get there. Good luck.

Unfortunately we cannot give Gas Safe advice to non Gas Safe engineers. You definitely need a professional to do it for you as it is not just a case of capping the supply. In my opinion the price quoted is a little high. However it depends on your location and the engineers hourly rate. I would call a few more engineers and see what they say to get a comparison price.
I thought the estimate was a bit steep, so thanks everyone for the price indications/advice.

Please rest assured that I have absolutely no intention of doing the work myself. I don't want to blow up my house or break the law or invalidate my house insurance.

I just wanted to make sure that I know how a gas safe engineer is supposed to cap off a gas fire...Because - from what I've gathered from elsewhere on the Internet - I understand that the supply shouldn't be capped off using the elbow restrictor, but it seems that's exactly what some engineers (who were checked as being gas safe registered) have done with some people's gas fires.

In honesty. There is nothing wrong with using the restrictor elbow as long as it is done correctly and to standards. It depends on what you are paying for. (Just cap off or remove gas pipe completely)

It can be done as mentioned
If you don't plan to replace the fire then get the pipe cut back under the floor

It can be done as mentioned
If you don't plan to replace the fire then get the pipe cut back under the floor
Which then obviously costs a lot more as it will require the floor being taken up which will bring the job past the hour mark.

After looking at the picture again it looks like it is in concrete. So to cap below ground level definitely explains the price. But it is a high price if he is capping above ground level.

After looking at the picture again it looks like it is in concrete. So to cap below ground level definitely explains the price. But it is a high price if he is capping above ground level.

im guessing it might be london

Could be. Actually, are you guessing or have you checked ?:D:D:D

guessing thats the only thing i can think of to justify the price hold on will check :D

edit (Slough)

Hi,

Yes, I'm in Slough, Berkshire.

The floor is concrete and I want the supply to be capped off above ground (the restrictor elbow is situated in an alcove of the York stone fire place surround).

I am wondering whether - even though I want it capped off above ground - there might still have to be some excavation by the Gas Safe Engineer into the concrete because the short pipe that the elbow restrictor goes into has a shut off valve in it (as shown in the photo) which might possibly leak?
IMG_20180808_154046319.jpg

No digging required looking at your photo. Easy job no more than 30mins from arriving to driving. Gas engineers love this type of job, £55 - £85 for half hours work minimal material required just standard stock out of the van. Surprised your GSR doesn't want it, no matter how busy they are could easily slot it in at end of day on way home ect..

Hi,

I need the gas supply to my gas fire capped as I want to remove my gas fire. I attach a photo of the elbow restrictor, which has a shut off valve underneath it. I have been given a 'provisional estimate' of £150 for the job by one gas safe engineer (which makes me think that he doesn't want the job, but perhaps I'm underestimating the amount of work involved).
View attachment 34383
I understand that leaving the elbow restrictor in situ and bunging it up to cap off the gas supply isn't a proper and safe way to do it. I would be grateful if anyone could give me an outline of what needs to be done, e.g. what part -if any - needs to be installed in place of the elbow restrictor and whether the pipe with the shut off valve that's underneath the elbow restricter would need to be excavated and replaced with something else (in case the shut off valve were to ever not work properly and leak).

Thanks in advance.
Who said it isn't safe nust to cap it off? This comes through a concrete floor. If possible it could be possible to find the other end and deal with the supply there provided that only this appliance is on it. Vapping off there looks the only ootion.

Reply to How to properly disconnect a gas fire in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock