Search the forum,

Discuss how to prevent cold water flowing back into the hot water pipe in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a single lever pull out kitchen faucet installed. The tap takes a hot and cold water connection, the cold is from the mains so is at a higher pressure. The hot is from the system boiler so is at a lower pressure. It seems to me that when I open the tap, the cold water is forcing its way into the hot water pipe due to the pressure difference. Is there anything that can be done to prevent the reverse flow?

The pressure reducing or equalising valve on the cold, though, you could do now, with the existing tap. It would limit your pressure, but you'd have better mixing from your tap. Depends, though, whether successful mixing is more or less important than a good jet from your cold and only you can know how you tend to use your tap.

Thanks Ben
The pressure reducing or equalising valve on the cold, though, you could do now, with the existing tap. It would limit your pressure, but you'd have better mixing from your tap. Depends, though, whether successful mixing is more or less important than a good jet from your cold and only you can know how you tend to use your tap.
Thanks for input Ric, so mixing is definitely important but at the same time, I do plan to replace the current system boiler with a mega flow system in the near future which hopefully should take care of the pressure issue. So which one would be a better option, a pressure reducing valve on the cold or a single check non return valve on the hot or should I go for both?

Non return is cheaper fix and will sort out your problem until unvented cylinder update in near future - which is a very good idea, you’ll be pleased with it!

Thanks for input Ric, so mixing is definitely important but at the same time, I do plan to replace the current system boiler with a mega flow system in the near future which hopefully should take care of the pressure issue. So which one would be a better option, a pressure reducing valve on the cold or a single check non return valve on the hot or should I go for both?

If you fit a PRV, you don't need a check valve.

As Ben-Gee has suggested a check valve less than £5 in UK, while a PRV can cost around £30. So depends how temporary this has to be.

If you go for the check valve, you need the check valve on the higher pressure side, so I would put it on the cold in your case - not the hot!

If you fit a PRV, you don't need a check valve.

As Ben-Gee has suggested a check valve less than £5 in UK, while a PRV can cost around £30. So depends how temporary this has to be.

If you go for the check valve, you need the check valve on the higher pressure side, so I would put it on the cold in your case - not the hot!
The current plan is to have this sustain for the next 3-5 months until I sort out the build plans. I am a bit confused, why would the NRV be on the cold pipe, shouldn't it be on the hot water pipe to prevent the cold water from flowing back in?

Apologies for paragraph 3 in post #9 which is completely incorrect. As Ben-Gee has correctly noted, the NRV should be on the hot not the cold!

Do bear in mind the classic spring-loaded NRV will have a detrimental effect on the flow/pressure of the hot water.

I have a single lever pull out kitchen faucet installed. The tap takes a hot and cold water connection, the cold is from the mains so is at a higher pressure. The hot is from the system boiler so is at a lower pressure. It seems to me that when I open the tap, the cold water is forcing its way into the hot water pipe due to the pressure difference. Is there anything that can be done to prevent the reverse flow?
Put a pressure reducing valve on cold main before it goes to tap

Apologies for paragraph 3 in post #9 which is completely incorrect. As Ben-Gee has correctly noted, the NRV should be on the hot not the cold!

Do bear in mind the classic spring-loaded NRV will have a detrimental effect on the flow/pressure of the hot water.
No worries Ric, Thanks to you and Ben for guiding me. Are there any alternatives to the classic spring-loaded NRV's?

Yes. You can get swing valves. Technically they don't meet the legal criteria for backflow protection but in this case you are making an existing system more compliant than it previously was, so I wouldn't over-worry about that.

Having said that, swing valves are not as cheap as the spring-loaded ones and the difference between a NRV and a PRV is now less.

That’s liveable with if it proves to be the case, however I have done this often and find a warm blend is available, obviously only add in a bit of cold.
The idea is to stop the cold back filling the cylinder and ultimately the CWS , I’ve seen the aftermath of this and it’s not pretty.
The OP is also updating system soon.

Reply to how to prevent cold water flowing back into the hot water pipe in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock