Search the forum,

Discuss How to patch a hole in a toilet waste pipe? in the The Welcome Wagon :) area at PlumbersForums.net

1443A18F-07A1-4336-8AD0-5A53F70A9751.jpeg

Hi folks, I’ve (until now, successfully...) done all the first fix plumbing on my newly configured bathroom in my flat only to notice that I’ve somehow put a tiny hole (maybe 3 or 4mm wide) in the flexible toilet waste pipe I installed. The floor is now tiled (underfloor heating, cement board etc) and I don’t think I’m going to have access to replace the pipe without destroying a serious amount of work...
Can anyone recommend anything I might be able to use to fix this hole? Has anyone had success fixing a similar pipe before?
(I’m aware there are threads on fixing pipes, but I’ve not seen any about fixing concertina waste pipes...
What sort of % success rate / how durable is it likely to be?
Would really appreciate any advice! Cheers
Nick

I'd just clean the area and put a blob of epoxy adhesive like Araldite on it, that should be fairly permanent.

If it’s not an option to dig out at all and it’s not rats\mice then ct1 will do the job in my opinion. Smear it across and hope you don’t have pests!!

Thanks for all your feedback guys. I'm pretty sure it's not mice or rats. The bathroom's on the first floor and I've seen no droppings or anything.
I reckon I probably grazed it with my angle grinder (like a tit.) I had to nip a bit off a tile that I laid in that area in order to create more wiggle room for where the cold feed tail for the toilet pops out of the floor. (I'd tiled the cold feed in too tight and when I offered up the toilet pan to the flexi waste pipe, the tail was getting in the way.) Was a super awkward manouevre trying to sort it out. Probably happened then.
I would have installed a rigid pipe if I could have, but where the floor joists were in relation to where I wanted the toilet just made it impossible (For me anyway. Perhaps an experienced pro plumber might have figured out a way.)
I don't think I can remove it now without ripping up tiles, cement board, underfloor heating etc.
I'm thinking I might combine a couple of those feedback options and apply a bit of CT1 to the inside of the pipe, let it dry, and then once the toilet is installed, apply araldite to the outside of the pipe...? Any thoughts on that?

Mate, CT1 will do the job but it's a tenner a tube whereas epoxy is a just a few quid, just saying cos not everybody is a pro and has that to hand.

Thanks for all your feedback guys. I'm pretty sure it's not mice or rats. The bathroom's on the first floor and I've seen no droppings or anything.

The rats and mice are inside the pipe, so you would not expect to see droppings on the outside of the pipe.
But there may be a day when you have a big enough hole for them to escape and then you may find droppings - full of plastic.

The rats and mice are inside the pipe, so you would not expect to see droppings on the outside of the pipe.
But there may be a day when you have a big enough hole for them to escape and then you may find droppings - full of plastic.
Jeez. Ok. I didn't know that was a thing. Is that common then? How do you avoid that? Do they Sod off once the pipe is in regular use?!

Jeez. Ok. I didn't know that was a thing. Is that common then? How do you avoid that? Do they Sod off once the pipe is in regular use?!
wishful thinking 😆 if there’s one there’s more so you need to find out where they are getting in. But it may just be that you’ve nipped it. What made you spot the hole ?

I worked 5 years pest control before plumbing/gas. That’s not a rodent hole, wrong shape/hole edges.

They typically get in to the soil pipe from the main manhole/interceptor (which has the cap/bung missing).

Check main manhole and replace interceptor cap if missing.

I worked 5 years pest control before plumbing/gas. That’s not a rodent hole, wrong shape/hole edges.

They typically get in to the soil pipe from the main manhole/interceptor (which has the cap/bung missing).

Check main manhole and replace interceptor cap if missing.
Ok, thanks. I've no idea where the main manhole would be at my property to be honest. Sound like it's hopefully not a rodent problem anyway, from what you've said. Like I said, I probably dinged it myself.

Reply to How to patch a hole in a toilet waste pipe? in the The Welcome Wagon :) area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock