Search the forum,

Discuss How to move toilet tank back 6 inches? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello everyone
Moved into a 5 year old ‘new build’ property recently and the toilet was leaking from where the tank meets the bowl. Nothing heavy but enough to need repairing. Anyway
Found out that the toilet tank was leaning very far back and fixed to the wall. The only way to stop the leak was to change the gasket and keep the tank level.
However now there is a gap between the tank and the wall about 4 inches or so and it looks out of place.
I used a 2inch rubber close coupling washer by Euroflo when replacing.
What are my options here?
Would a doughnut foam washer make any difference?
Do I need to have the complete toilet moved back to meet the wall?
Or is there any type of gasket I can get that allows me to tilt the toilet tank that far back so it meets the wall?

Thanks for any help!

Any pictures of what you mean ?

This isn’t the photo of my toilet it’s one off google as I am currently out. However this illustrates roughly the distance the toilet is from the wall. It was leant back and secured to the wall at the top of the tank which the lean was causing the leak. Having it level has stopped the leak but it now looks out of place.
Thanks
1877C8DB-4F1C-4948-A0C4-49E690B1CC6D.jpeg

The tank would normally contact the wall all the way along its back. It shouldn't slope. If it's a couple of inches as in the image and you can't relocate the entire WC (should be easy enough if the waste exits straight through the wall behind the WC), easiest way is make a kind of wooden (painted or plastic coated) box to act as a spacer. Or painted wooden spacer behind the top of the back of the cistern if you only care about the view from the top.

On a newbuild, you'd have hoped not to find this kind of thing!

Unfortunately some new build plumbing is not the best , removal of the hide away cistern and building out of the wall to support the cistern is the way to go two timber battens of the appropriate thickness and a piece of ply would be my choice then replumb it back in and make repairs . Kop

Reply to How to move toilet tank back 6 inches? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Forgive my ignorance, with this basic question, but I seem to be struggling to both understand, search for, and source, the appropriate washer, o-ring or gland, for this type of tap. Maybe, no one ever replaces this type of washer/component? Background: I discovered a leak in the cupboard from...
Replies
Views
Hi! Totally inexperienced DIY newbie so bear with me for descriptions! Pictures hopefully help. I’m trying to remove an unused downstairs toilet in our new house. It’s eventually going to be moved to the other side of the house. The seal around the back of the toilet had failed so I switched...
Replies
Views
As part of a slow DIY bathroom refit I've removed the old toilet from the original location next to the soil pipe (and obviously capped off the branch) and plan to place it the opposite end of the room. I was pretty lucky to find a 110mm sewer waste pipe below the old sink which is the new...
Replies
Views
Hi, I fix what I can around the house myself and have fixed a few toilets but I need help with this one. This toilet keeps running and stopping, running and stopping, etc. I've cleaned the rubber flapper itself and at the point that it contacts the reservoir, so I don't think it's leaking from...
Replies
Views
I’d like to replace the toilet in my house with a back to wall one. The plan is to build a panel on stud work to conceal the cistern and then use the existing soil pipe which goes out to the right. All the back to wall toilets on Victoria Plum have a cross through the side waste which has...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock