Search the forum,

Discuss How to increase boiler pressure in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

I've just moved in to my first home and I'm a total novice with boilers and central heating systems.
All I ask is which valves in the pic do I turn to keep pressure at 1.5?

Attachments

• 20191118_222219.jpg
    20191118_222219.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 28
See the 2 black valves halfway down the pipes with the silver flexible pipe between? Turn the left one to the vertical position whilst watching the pressure gauge, when it gets to the correct pressure turn both to a horizontal position.
[automerge]1574162872[/automerge]
That’s the “filling loop”

See the 2 black valves halfway down the pipes with the silver flexible pipe between? Turn the left one to the vertical position whilst watching the pressure gauge, when it gets to the correct pressure turn both to a horizontal position.
You're a star.. thank you :)

never be tempted if your pressure drops regularly to ever push it above 1.5 bar on your boiler gauge. centralheatking

Correct spot on if you have to increase the pressure again within a week you have a problem so just keep an eye on it for now

Hi again.

One more question...

Now I've set the heating to come on for 3 hours twice a day, I've noticed quite a loud whining noise from the boiler when the heating is running.

It occurs every 4-5 minutes and the whine sounds for about 2-4 seconds.

Should I get an engineer out?

Hi again.

One more question...

Now I've set the heating to come on for 3 hours twice a day, I've noticed quite a loud whining noise from the boiler when the heating is running.

It occurs every 4-5 minutes and the whine sounds for about 2-4 seconds.

Should I get an engineer out?
Its difficult to be certain but my money would be on the fan. Run it for a while often the noise will go away calling an engineer will be expensive as they might start throwing new parts at it. Have you had it serviced recently if not do it do it that way.
centralheatking

Funnily enough the noise seemed to disappear after I wrote that post.
The heating had been on about for just over an hour.

No it hasn't been serviced recently. I think it is a brand new boiler (we were told by estate agent).
There is no installation record or engineer name or anything.

I'll phone Ferolli and hope for the best.
[automerge]1574854253[/automerge]
Update.... phoned Ferroli. Manual commission sheet has not been filled in nor signed off at the back, so they don't want to know until original installer has provided proof of commission.
Phoned estate agents to try get in touch with the seller, but after past issues, they never got back in touch, so I'm not confident they will on this occasion.

Last edited:
Funnily enough the noise seemed to disappear after I wrote that post.
The heating had been on about for just over an hour.

No it hasn't been serviced recently. I think it is a brand new boiler (we were told by estate agent).
There is no installation record or engineer name or anything.

I'll phone Ferolli and hope for the best.
[automerge]1574854253[/automerge]
Update.. phoned Ferroli. Manual commission sheet has not been filled in nor signed off at the back, so they don't want to know until original installer has provided proof of commission.
Phoned estate agents to try get in touch with the seller, but after past issues, they never got back in touch, so I'm not confident they will on this occasion.
Its called 'let the buyer beware' its a mad situation you have more rights buying a packet of crisps for under £1 than the biggest purchase of you life..they will not
reply.centralheatking

Totally agree with #rpm above. Time to ring Gas Safe and complain that there is no benchmark paperwork supplied as is per regulations & therefore you are unable to ascertain whether or not the appliance has been commissioned to manufactures instructions, safe to use & signed off plus the fact that your warranty is void so manufacturer are unwilling to help. Then ask for a free inspection of the installation.

You can also perform a search on the Gas Safe web site to check if your boiler is registered, by simply inputting your post code and house number. This will tell you who installed it & registered it as signed off & they will have to meet the inspector at your property free of charge and rectify any faults found.

Totally agree with #rpm above. Time to ring Gas Safe and complain that there is no benchmark paperwork supplied as is per regulations & therefore you are unable to ascertain whether or not the appliance has been commissioned to manufactures instructions, safe to use & signed off plus the fact that your warranty is void so manufacturer are unwilling to help. Then ask for a free inspection of the installation.

You can also perform a search on the Gas Safe web site to check if your boiler is registered, by simply inputting your post code and house number. This will tell you who installed it & registered it as signed off & they will have to meet the inspector at your property free of charge and rectify any faults found.
Nice very good info chking

Thanks for all your help and info guys.
I checked the GasSafe register and nothing comes up with my address.
I did find the gas safety check sheet that was undertaken in August this year and that all looks above board.
I'll ring GasSafe in the morning.
If all else fails I'm reluctantly prepared to skint myself on a better boiler. I've read that even with Ferroli warranty, they aren't the best at repairs.

Try the person that did the conveyancing for you. If you were told there was a new boiler in the property by the estate agent there may be a way...

Update.

Ok I've had zero luck with the estate agents and the solicitors, both have washed their hands now they have their money.

Back to the boiler.. the whining has got more excruciating. My mate told me to check all my radiators are hot and then bleed if necessary.
I turned every TRV up and there is no noise from the boiler 🤔
[automerge]1575360433[/automerge]
.... until we ran the hot water tap in the kitchen with the central heating still on, the whining came back until we turned the tap off 😣

Last edited:

Reply to How to increase boiler pressure in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock