Search the forum,

Discuss How to identify feed and return? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Danfoto

When we gutted our bathroom earlier this year, I had to cut and cap off the feed and return to the rad so both the rad and the piping to it could cleared out the way.

I'm now about to start on the new plumbing, and of course my labelling of the two heating pipes has disappeared. The system runs off a combi boiler in the kitchen, and it's impossible to trace the pipe run back either visually or by knocking on it.

The only way I can think of to identify which is which is to connect the two pipes by a length of hosepipe, turn on the heating and hope to feel which pipe heats up first. Either that or instal the new rad, pipe it up (50% chance of getting it right!) and if my luck's out, cross the pipes over somewhere out of sight.

Anybody got a better idea? :)

it depends on the system but it may not matter much.

Get standard rad valve, and swop the lock shield to the correct side when you fire the boiler, at which point the flow will become evident (first to heat up).

Balance the rad and bleed accordingly . . .

Might not work with a trv though.

Thanks Avatar! What an useless idiot I am. Hadn't occurred to me that if it's rse-about-face I just need to swap the valves round ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Or get a 2 way TRV - it doesn't seem to matter which pipe you put them on (but I do go for the flow if possible!)

Bi-directional TRV. Fit,fire boiler, adjust arrow to pipe heating first......simples!!!

just blow down the pipes.

and any more bad language will get your account suspended.....

Bi directional valve, no bother, no swap. In fact you'd do well to buy a trv that wasn't bi-directional nowadays!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How to identify feed and return? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I'm in a bit of a bind with a current CH install where I need to install a filter prior to a flush but no where to install My issue is the return on the combi (ideal 35) runs directly behind the boiler then up through the ceiling so I have no clearance to even attempt to snake it out to fit a...
Replies
Views
Hi All This is following on from thread I made a few days ago but can't seem to find I'm in a bit of a bind with my CH design where I want to sort all of my rads and do some other bits including fitting a filter but I'm stumped on how to drain down due to how the system is put together...
Replies
Views
Hello, bit of a noob question but would someone be able to help me to understand the pipes coming off our boiler. It's a Grant oil combi boiler, and where the pipes come in is in a room at the front of the house. I am about to box them in but I really wanted to understand what the various pipes...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have just installed a vented McDonald 250L thermal store, it is for multi fuel but currently just connected to a standard oil boiler in the garage which is fully pumped to the TS, the system has two pumps both basic 3speed Grunfoss, one on the boiler return and the other on the CH flow...
Replies
Views
Where and how does the water supply work and is there only one rising main pipe and where is it usually located? I am top floor flat, mains fed supply and all 6 in the block have a shared rising main pipe (I think unless there is meant to be more than one). Kitchen: From the ground floor to...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock