Search the forum,

Discuss How to fix creaking/unstable shower bath in the Australia area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi All,

new to this so not sure if I'm posting in the right section.
I'll try my best to explain!
I have recently had an L-Shaped shower bath installed, and it squeaks and creaks heavily when standing in the 'L' end of the bath. The cause of this problem is that our floor does not completely extend to the wall that the bath is fixed adjacent to (as there used to be a chimney breast there which we removed.) The bath has been fitted by the plumber but one of the metal legs has been placed on a very small, unfixed, off-cut floor tile that is cantilevered across the gap in the floor. I understand this is partly my fault as there was inadequate flooring in place to take this leg, but I do not understand why the plumber didn't bring it to my attention beforehand so that I could've rectified before he put the bath in?!
Anyway, with the bath now in place, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a way of supporting the bath to stop it from creaking, or is the placement of this metal leg vital?
I hope there is a relatively easily solution - taking the bath out would be a nightmare as all the plumbing and wall tiling is complete!
Apologies if its a difficult one to get your heads round, I will upload a photo and sketch to try and explain the situation more clearly.

Thanks in advance for any help guys

Brad

Attachments

• Bath install 2.JPG
    Bath install 2.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 32
  • INPROPER BATH INSTALLATION.JPG
    INPROPER BATH INSTALLATION.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 32
Get the person back. Failing that a piece of 4 x 2 or 6 x 2 tanallised timber laid flat under both of the feet and screwed to the floor.

Should be able to do it without removing bath.
[automerge]1573058447[/automerge]
Also is there a batten to the wall that the bath rim sits on at the back.

If not then I'd be tempted to get them back and do a proper job at their expense.

Thanks Simon,
would that timber be laid flat width ways, or from one end of the bath to the other?
The bath came pre-fixed with battens under the rim, but I think he has completely ignored it as it does not appear to fixed into the wall at any point.
I am tempted to get him back in to rectify... but at this stage im wondering if he would actually do a proper job or if i would be better off doing it myself! He had done other fundamental things wrong such as sealing the bath without filling it first - so Im leaning towards damage limitation at these stage!

Thanks

Laid flat width ways under the dangling leg and under the other leg attached to the same metal stay.

For me I would have fitted a slaters lathe to the wall that the bath rim would have sat on. Clear silicone in between bath and wall. Tile with a 1mm gap between bottom of tile and bath. Fill bath and seal. Leave 24 hours.

Laid flat width ways under the dangling leg and under the other leg attached to the same metal stay.

For me I would have fitted a slaters lathe to the wall that the bath rim would have sat on. Clear silicone in between bath and wall. Tile with a 1mm gap between bottom of tile and bath. Fill bath and seal. Leave 24 hours.

It’s annoying because I’ve obviously been naive enough to think that the guy would know how to fit a bath properly, I would’ve assumed he would take all necessary steps such as battens against the wall, filling the tub before sealing etc but apparently not!

I’ve just had a look to see how easy it is to lay 4 x 2 as you suggested, it should work, but now it looks like the metal thread part of the leg is so tall, that once raised on top of the timber, it will clash with the underside of the bath:rolleyes: and it’ll be very tricky to try and cut it down on the far side leg due to limited space/height under there ... nothing’s ever simple!

The threaded rod that may clash with the underside of the bath when fully raised could be cut with a multi-tool type oscillating saw if you have one. If you don't have one and can't borrow one mains powered versions have become very affordable and have so many uses buying one wouldn't be a waste of money if you do much DIY.

The threaded rod that may clash with the underside of the bath when fully raised could be cut with a multi-tool type oscillating saw if you have one. If you don't have one and can't borrow one mains powered versions have become very affordable and have so many uses buying one wouldn't be a waste of money if you do much DIY.

Thanks Stigster, luckily a family member has one of these so im going to attempt to cut down the rods tonight, fingers crossed the squeaks go away - im somewhat sceptical now though considering it isn't supported on battens along the walls either :rolleyes:

Reply to How to fix creaking/unstable shower bath in the Australia area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock