Search the forum,

Discuss How to drain only hot and cold feed to a bathroom which is on a drop from an Unvented cylinder. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

The system has an unvented hot water cylinder which heats the water upstairs (via an immersion heater) and I need to drain down the pipes so I can move the two pipes feeding the sink in the bathroom. There are two showers (on a separate drop) one bathroom (on it's own drop) and one sink elsewhere (on it's own drop).

Am I right in thinking I can turn off the cold water supply into the property, turn off the cylinder and just open the taps? I've done some research and it sounds straight forward but I have read about cylinders imploding so I'm a bit worried about blowing it up as I'm doing it for someone as a favour.

No you only need to worry about negative pressure (sucking back) if there is no tap above the cylinder.
It’s like holding your finger over the end of a straw then drawing it up out of your Coca Cola. Take your thumb off (open the taps) and the vacuum is released.

Reply to How to drain only hot and cold feed to a bathroom which is on a drop from an Unvented cylinder. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I'm in my new build 2 years and the shower pump has died. I have an air to water unit downstairs is in the utility which I've been told is unvented and pressurised. The cold water feed into this cylinder is from the attic tank, not the mains as I turned off the mains stopcock to see if hot...
Replies
Views
I need to change my shower mixer and I have a unvented hot water cylinder. Is it sufficient to turn off the mains? Do I need to drain the cylinder? Thanks
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello, I am fitting new taps and a shower mixer in my en-suite and was looking to isolate the hot water pipes. I have an unvented indirect heating system (have attached some photos). I was wondering if the isolation valve that would shut off the water to the hot water taps is as circled in the...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
Hi There was no shut off valve on the tank feed to the hot water cylinder, and I needed to move a couple of hot water pipes, so I shut off the mains water, turned boiler off (Remeha avanta) and opened the hot kitchen tap to drain the cylinder. After doing the work etc, Everything up and...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock