Search the forum,

Discuss How to convert current mixer valve tap to a cold water supply inlet. in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Any plumbers can advise the best way to convert the current mixer valve tap to cold water supply inlet for electric shower.

I have mixer valve tap , I would need to install a new electric shower on shower area wall .Currently is the mixer valve tap. I want to know how to do before I ask the plumber to assist.

If need to convert the mixer valve tap to single cold and hot water valve tap first. Then Install a cold water hose/pipe and add connector for supplying cold water to electric shower. Does it require any boost water pump? How about the Hot water valve tap, if it is better to install shut off valve? Please have a look of the attached photo and comment. Your recommendation is highly appreciated.

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 2a.jpg
    2a.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 8
1. What supplies the hot and cold water to the existing mixer? If the cold is tank fed, you can't fit an electric shower, they require mains pressure cold. You are not allowed to pump mains water.
2. Are you trying to:
2a. Replace the bar mixer shower with an electric shower? OR
2b. Fit an electric shower as well as the bar mixer?
3. If your problem with the bar mixer is poor flow, it is almost certainly tank fed. In which case you might consider an electric power shower.

1. What supplies the hot and cold water to the existing mixer? If the cold is tank fed, you can't fit an electric shower, they require mains pressure cold. You are not allowed to pump mains water.
2. Are you trying to:
2a. Replace the bar mixer shower with an electric shower? OR
2b. Fit an electric shower as well as the bar mixer?
3. If your problem with the bar mixer is poor flow, it is almost certainly tank fed. In which case you might consider an electric power shower.
My current supply to exiting mixer of hot and cold water is from the Megaflo unvented cylinder.

It is because my current unvented cylinder really not capable of delivering enough hot water for more than 2 showers. So I would need to install a electric shower for shower only . I still want to keep unvented cylinder for basin and kitchen use

1. What size is your Megaflo?
2. When you say it can't supply two showers do you mean:
2a. It can't run two showers at the same time. OR
2b. It runs out of hot water after two showers.
3. Is the water in the Megaflo heated by:
3a. Electricity only, and if so, how many immersion heaters?
3b. A boiler or similar heat source only?
3c. A boiler and 1 or 2 immersion heaters.
4. If you have a boiler, make and model?
5. Photographs of unvented cylinder and pipework to / from it would be useful.

Thank for your reply. I would provide you some information for advice.

What size is your Megaflo?125 liters electricity
2. When you say it can't supply two showers do you mean: (Not enough Hot water for 2 showers ,each shower will take 10 mins, after then water become cold)

2a. It can't run two showers at the same time. OR( yes.) 2 person will take shower in the morning.
2b. It runs out of hot water after two showers. Yes, sometimes after 1 shower, the water becomes cold.

3. Is the water in the Megaflo heated by: (Yes, I only have a unvented cylinder for all hot water in the apartment.)
3a. Electricity only, and if so, how many immersion heaters? Yes, this is electricity, (There are 2 immersion heaters, one is top element for boost, one is bottom element ) The heater will start to heat up water from midnight (set by Economy 7 controller) using bottom element and hot water will be ready in morning.
3b. A boiler or similar heat source only? (No other heat source.)
3c. A boiler and 1 or 2 immersion heaters. ( only this unvented cylinder supplying hot water for bathroom, kitchen )

4. If you have a boiler, make and model? ( No other boiler)
5. Photographs of unvented cylinder and pipework to / from it would be useful. ( Please have a look of photo of model and pipe work.

Attachments

• B1.jpg
    B1.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 6
  • B3.jpg
    B3.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 6
  • B2.jpg
    B2.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 3
  • T1.jpg
    T1.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 4
My current supply to exiting mixer of hot and cold water is from the Megaflo unvented cylinder.

It is because my current unvented cylinder really not capable of delivering enough hot water for more than 2 showers. So I would need to install a electric shower for shower only . I still want to keep unvented cylinder for basin and kitchen u
I would attach the photo of the E7 timer switch. E7 timer will heat up water by bottom element, Boost mode will heat up water by top Element

Attachments

• E7.jpg
    E7.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 6
You can do it but it’s not going to look the nicest

Elbow off where the old mixer shower feed is upto into the electric shower and cap the hot from the old shower off

Reply to How to convert current mixer valve tap to a cold water supply inlet. in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock