Search the forum,

Discuss How to connect this thermostatic shower mixer in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hey guys,

I’m looking to replace my thermostatic shower mixer valve with the one attached.
How would you connect water pipes to it for a tight seal?
I bought 15mm 1/2” elbows, but when tighten all the way, it goes to around 8 o’clock position, but I need it facing straight down to 6 o’clock, that’s where the water pipe is coming from. If unwind back the joint would be loose and I’m worried that it would leak.
How do you guys seal this type of joints and connect water to it?
Do I need some sort of washer? As the compression elbow has a taper on one end.

Thanks for any advise!

Attachments

• 8688569B-04C1-4B97-B055-CD1C99AE65D4.jpeg
    8688569B-04C1-4B97-B055-CD1C99AE65D4.jpeg
    102.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 43C3D1D0-D3BA-4581-9B62-466F07C91C37.jpeg
    43C3D1D0-D3BA-4581-9B62-466F07C91C37.jpeg
    69.1 KB · Views: 12
  • C5A277CC-F198-40E4-9357-61257A296728.jpeg
    C5A277CC-F198-40E4-9357-61257A296728.jpeg
    89.4 KB · Views: 12
You could put an adaptor in first, and ptfe tape. then you can work from the straight, small piece of copper with a soldered elbow etc. Or you could put ptfe tape on the threads of your elbows and tighten to the position you want. You might find you take them out and remove tape and reapply the tape until you get the correct position.

1586305584355.png

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/compression-adapting-male-coupler-15mm-x/69358

You could put an adaptor in first, and ptfe tape. then you can work from the straight, small piece of copper with a soldered elbow etc. Or you could put ptfe tape on the threads of your elbows and tighten to the position you want. You might find you take them out and remove tape and reapply the tape until you get the correct position.

View attachment 43232
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/compression-adapting-male-coupler-15mm-x/69358

Thank you for your reply Moonlight.
So I’m on a right path. Is there some sort of washer available for extra measure? As this valve will be going behind a tiled wall and a last thing I’d want few years down the line is a leak from this mixer valve.

I'd suggest two options:
1. Loctite 55. Roughen the threads on the elbows. Wind Loctite cord on (across the threads rather than with them) and screw in until tight. If you need less than 90 degrees unwinding to get it right, you're good to go, as that much unwinding will leave a seal. If you need more, disassemble, remove cord and wind on a longer length. Repeat as necessary.
2. Flomasta pipe seal (Screwfix 4373J). Apply to thread on elbow, wind in to correct position (i.e. as far as possible, stopping in correct position) leave for a minute or two. There are equivalent product from Loctite and Rocol, but I haven't used them.
3. If you've got some spare pipe and olives, you could pressure test before installing.

Reply to How to connect this thermostatic shower mixer in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I recently had a plumber come over to look at a badly leaking shower head. As best I can recall, he described the problem as a crack in the bridge of the cold water pipe and explained that there were two options: 1. Get into the wall with a jackhammer to fix the problem; or 2. Install one of...
Replies
Views
Hi All. My Aqualisa Aquavalve enclosed mixer shower valve leaked and gave way and I am looking to replace. I am looking for recommendations what model would I replace it with and how would I replace it if I changed the model! I would like to change the type of model to a lever one. I have...
Replies
Views
A
I have a mixer shower with standard 15cm inlet pipe spacing designed to accept vertical (downward) inlet pipes. The plumbing from my wall has two inlet pipes at the right (15cm) spacing, but they emerge straight out from the wall horizontally instead of descending vertically. Can anyone...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, hope all is well! I’ve fitted a compression cap on two of my shower mixer copper pipes (15mm). One of them has scratches and burring and is very slightly out of shape. It leaked but I added some PFTE tape over the olive and it seems to of done the job. However… I’m tiling the wall and...
Replies
Views
hello all, happy new year! i hope i have posted this in the right section i have a shower bar mixer. the shower runs luke warm. a quick google search showed some ideas on how to adjust it. i tried adjusting it and it didn't change the temp. when i adjusted it the other way to test the cold...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock