Search the forum,

Discuss How to change blanking plug valve on heated towel rail? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

ade

Hello team,

I just noticed that in one of my bathroom, the blanking plug valve on the towel rail is leaking. I just moved in this new house and the valve looks old and the seal a little damaged. Anyway, I just ordered a replacement but I have no idea on what is the process to change that. What valve should I turn off to stop the water pressure and unscrew the old valve so I can replace it?

I can share pictures if needed.

Many thanks!

Shut the radiator valves
Upon the bleed/vent plug to check they pressure drops off and the valves are holding.
Grab some old towels and swap the leaking plug.

Shut the radiator valves
Upon the bleed/vent plug to check they pressure drops off and the valves are holding.
Grab some old towels and swap the leaking plug.
Hey Scott, many thanks for your reply.
So, if I got that properly

1. Be sure that the radiators are cold
2. Turn off the valve of the single radiator (the left one on the attached picture I guess?)
3. Open the bleeding valve and let spill go, if the valve is holding it should stop in few moments
4. Remove the blanking plug and swap it with the new one

Am I correct?

Attachments

• IMG_7076.jpg
    IMG_7076.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 11
The valve on the right is a lockshield. When closing, count the number of turns. Afterwards reset the valve to the same position.
Thank you very much!
[automerge]1605804499[/automerge]
I am having some difficulties on removing the myson valve you can see at the right, it only has one Center screw but is very tight. Does it needs just a bit of WD40?

Last edited:

Reply to How to change blanking plug valve on heated towel rail? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My towel rail is not electric but separate to central heating and has been working consistently but since the 2 port valve was replaced on Monday because the radiators were not working it has stopped working, if I go into the loft and press the flame button on and off it seems to come back to...
Replies
Views
P
Hi I’ve got a blockage somewhere that’s preventing the GCH bathroom towel rail from heating. Plumber has offered to try and resolve it at £100/hour. It sounds like there’s no guarantee the blockage can be found and/or fixed. So I could be pouring money down the drain trying to resolve the...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
I'm going to have my bathroom renovated and that includes changing my rusty old rad for a towel rail. I wanna cut down the costs as much as possible so there's things I want to do myself. In order to change the rad I'll have to turn off the lock shields then slowly drain the rad. The thing is...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, These sleeves cover 10mm PVC central heating pipes (see picture and ignore tape measure) and I believe this is what makes it possible for the 15mm nut and olive to attach to take the radiator valve. As you can see they are installed before nut and olive. I've ordered a black towel...
Replies
Views
Hello Everyone I would like to drain the towel rail in my bathroom and add some inhibitor. I have unscrewed the chrome cap on the lock shield and there is no spindle that can be turned. How can I make sure the lock shield is closed off before draining? Please see attached pictures. Thank you...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock