Search the forum,

Discuss How to become Oftec qualifyed? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fdph

Hi i'm already a gas engineer but i'm interested in getting qualifyed for working on oil appliances as well. I've had a look on the net and a search on here but struggling to figure out what needs to be done for Oftec registration, most places seem to be offering training for it in the form of several short courses but i'm unsure which i would need. Also would i need to be working with a oil engineer to build up portfolios etc like i did with the gas?
cheers
stephen

It would depend on what type of work you wanted to undertake as to which courses you took.

All you need really is OFT101 To service commision and repair domestic/light commercial units.

Theres not too much to the courses.

Depending on where you live theres a definate lack of oftec engineers in certain areas.

Depends where you live, but I trained at Aga/Rayburn where you learn to do vaporising appliances too (e.g. Agas, Rayburns, oil stoves, etc.) There's something really old fashioned about these contraptions as they're basically a pot of oil that quietly burns the oil.

You'll probably need the OFTEC 50, which is an introduction course (one week). Then you do your 101, 102 and one or two others if you want which takes another week. Then it's around £800 for your OFTEC registration for 5 years. An inspection in your first few weeks/months. This isn't really a test, but much more of a session that you can ask loads of questions and talk to your assessor who is very approachable. And that's about it. It's also sensible to go on a day's course at a manufacturer or two where you learn more about the boilers and maintenance and less about the red tape.

No NVQ required. No buddy work required. No nasties like slapping DO NOT USE stickers all over the place and ruining someone's life (very rare something's so dangerous this happens and if it does you're expected to fix it before you leave.) (We're a friendly bunch us OFTEC people.)

I don't do gas as I live in a rural area and I have around one oil job every couple of weeks or so in the winter. Oil boilers are pretty sturdy things and realiable. Maddening when they go wrong but most satisfying to fix.

Give Aga (training) a phone call and one or two manufacturers (e.g. Worcester, Grant, Mistrel) as well to compare notes and costs, etc.

Depends where you live, but I trained at Aga/Rayburn where you learn to do vaporising appliances too (e.g. Agas, Rayburns, oil stoves, etc.) There's something really old fashioned about these contraptions as they're basically a pot of oil that quietly burns the oil.

You'll probably need the OFTEC 50, which is an introduction course (one week). Then you do your 101, 102 and one or two others if you want which takes another week. Then it's around £800 for your OFTEC registration for 5 years. An inspection in your first few weeks/months. This isn't really a test, but much more of a session that you can ask loads of questions and talk to your assessor who is very approachable. And that's about it. It's also sensible to go on a day's course at a manufacturer or two where you learn more about the boilers and maintenance and less about the red tape.

No NVQ required. No buddy work required. No nasties like slapping DO NOT USE stickers all over the place and ruining someone's life (very rare something's so dangerous this happens and if it does you're expected to fix it before you leave.) (We're a friendly bunch us OFTEC people.)

I don't do gas as I live in a rural area and I have around one oil job every couple of weeks or so in the winter. Oil boilers are pretty sturdy things and realiable. Maddening when they go wrong but most satisfying to fix.

Give Aga (training) a phone call and one or two manufacturers (e.g. Worcester, Grant, Mistrel) as well to compare notes and costs, etc.

I used to do oil years ago was wondering what the best course of action would be to return, so although it wasn't my question thanks for the excellent reply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How to become Oftec qualifyed? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock