Search the forum,

Discuss How to adjust toilet fill level in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

Could somebody help me with some advice please?
My toilet is leaking. It is filling above the overflow pipe and is constantly running water into the bowl.

When the cistern fills, the float goes as high as it will go but the water continues filling and goes down the overflow pipe.

I have a bottom entry fill valve (photo attached). I have removed the small clip on the vertical pipe going up to the float. From reading the forums I believe I need to rotate the unit 90 degrees in order to adjust it up and down. However, it won't quite go 90 degrees as it hits the edge of the cistern. I can't remove the whole unit as the toilet is sealed and I can't access underneath the cistern.

Am I correct in what I am trying to do, or is there another way to lower the fill level?

Thanks
Heather
20200105_115112.jpg

If its a twist and release unit just go get another one. Setting the water level will not solve your problem. However after you have turned the supply off to the cistern then after you have lifted off the siphon have a look it might be affected by crud or a bit of debris from the water supply, give it a wipe
replace and see if that solves it ..if not go get a replacement . centralheatking

Hi, thanks both for your replies! I did finally manage to adjust the height and you're right, it's made no difference.

I didn't know you could get twist and release units, I thought I would have to remove the whole cistern to get it out. I'll try and find out.

Thanks
Heather

You have two choices:
1. Take the diaphragm washer out of the existing inlet / fill valve. Never worked on one, but from looking at it I suspect you push together the two grey plastic "ears" just below "WDI" in your picture, and the grey piece will pop out to reveal the diaphragm. Then clean, and replace if necessary.
2. Replace the entire inlet valve. Doesn't look as if you have much space in the cistern for a Flowmaster (my preference), so you might look at a Skylo Viva or a Torbeck. The WDI is a Chinese make and not widely available, though presumably cheap.
3. You need to isolate the water supply to the cistern before either 1. or 2. With luck you will have an isolation valve in the pipe leading the water into the cistern. If not you'll have to find another way of isolating.

Thanks, I'll try to remove the top tonight when I get home. If I do need to replace the whole thing do I need to take the cistern off completely to access the underneath? The base of the toilet is sealed, a bit like this one:
Iconic Combined Two-In-One Wash Basin + Toilet Medium Image

There are screws inside the bottom of the cistern, do I just need to unscrew these to take it off?

Thanks, I'll try to remove the top tonight when I get home. If I do need to replace the whole thing do I need to take the cistern off completely to access the underneath? The base of the toilet is sealed, a bit like this one:
Iconic Combined Two-In-One Wash Basin + Toilet Medium Image

There are screws inside the bottom of the cistern, do I just need to unscrew these to take it off?
Turn water off, then explore

That is what is known as a "back to the wall" toilet. Unless there is a very obvious isolation valve nearby, you will have to turn the cold water off somewhere else (main stopcock, water meter). Whatever method you use, flush the toilet after shutting off the water, and make sure the cistern doesn't fill up again.
The two screw heads you can see inside the cistern are to hold the cistern to the bowl. Do NOT undo them.

Thanks for your advice, I would have unscrewed them :(, There is an isolation valve on the outside which I have turned off. How do I take the fill valve out if I can't get underneath the cistern to unscrew it? I assume it's screwed on from underneath like this?

toilet.PNG

1. Yes, it will be fixed as the one you show.
2. To get it out requires access to the underside of the back of the bowl. To do this requires the WC to be removed. I'd suggest this is a job only for the most experienced DIYer.
3. Another triumph of form over function.

Ok, looks like I may have to pay a plumber to do it for me.

Thanks everyone for your help and patience! :)

Heather
Unfortuately this is the reality of designer bathroom fittings, however it is obvious you have above average practical abilities so I suggest you be there to see and learn what happens and make sure a twist and release siphon is fitted. centralheatking

Reply to How to adjust toilet fill level in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello! I was checking something in the toilet cistern. I flushed, but holding the float ball, so the cistern wouldn't be filled. With a very low level of water in the cistern, I flushed a couple of times. Then I let go of the float ball and the cistern was filled. I didn't do or change...
Replies
Views
Hey, I've got a leaking toilet and I need to replace the filling valve device which is a Geberit 810.L3 Type 340 with a 1/2" connector. Problem I've got is the connection under the tank (image attached). The top plastic nut (yellow) is only to hold the fill valve in place - I can undo it by...
Replies
Views
C
Hello My toilet flush is busted. The tank takes about 10 seconds to empty and it’s kind of showers down from the middle, rather than that sudden gush that surrounds the entire bowl. It does not generate enough force to really dispose of the waste. I replaced everything in the tank. The...
Replies
Views
Chris P
C
I have fitted this brass float valve to my toilet cistern. Obviously the inlet is the same level as the overflow pipe so it needs to be water tight. The inlet pipe is not flexible and enters the cistern at a slight angle to the side of the cistern, the washer I used is not squishy. The result...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have just installed a combination all in one WC/small basin…. Out of the fill valve there is a small tube which emits a lot of water during the refill (I believe it is known as a refill tube) and is connected directly into the overflow tube that drains into the pan, Googling suggests...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock