Search the forum,

Discuss How NOT to apply for an apprentice position in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of the best tradesmen I know struggle to write their own name. I wouldn't judge anyone on grammar and punctuation mine is terrible to start with.

Were tradesmen not novelists, I appreciate spelling and punctuation go a long way with people tradesmen included but ultimately I work with spanners and hammers not spreadsheets and excel

Some of the best tradesmen I know struggle to write their own name. I wouldn't judge anyone on grammar and punctuation mine is terrible to start with.

Were tradesmen not novelists, I appreciate spelling and punctuation go a long way with people tradesmen included but ultimately I work with spanners and hammers not spreadsheets and excel

Been a while since you applied for a job then rob....??

I've never not got a job I've interviewed for. But having said that the last job I had to apply for would have been 9 years ago

Me too. Ive never had to provide a cv either . but i think first impressions are everything and if you already have a trade then its your experience that gets u the job. But asking for job at the start of your career youd have to do better than this person surely.

I haven't had one for 28 years. Not from that side of the table, anyway.

Are you still expected to submit CVs on two separate parchments?

I haven't had one for 28 years. Not from that side of the table, anyway.

Are you still expected to submit CVs on two separate parchments?

didn't you do yours on tablets Ray.

Personally I think your ability to converse with customers and write decent quotations is important to getting business, hence anyone writing to me in the previous manner gets an instant delete.

Dear Sir or Madame,

I should like to direct your attention to this job application what I am currently involved in writing to you.

Since I was a child I have always been interesting in plumbing. My dad would often teach me to do plumbing like fixing the tap and bleeding the radiators. I found it interesting.

I finished school with two AS levels in media and geography. Both passes.

I have my own tool and I can provide my own tranport monday to friday (weekends she works in the cafe.)

I enclose my Cirriculum Vitae.

Thank you very much,

Kev

Why do we need paragraphs for fitting boilers and punctuation to service a fire or full stops to fit a bathroom plus thank heavens for spell check or it could have been worsere

Got an email yesterday from a guy with his CV attached offering to help build part of of business, setting up and managing sales etc, so I replied by email saying I'd be interested to find out more about what he could offer us, and included my phone number. To which a got an email back that:
a) From the things he said he could do for us clearly meant that he hadn't researched my company before replying,
and,
b) Asking ME to call HIM.

mmm and he wanted to develop the sales side....

Now this guy claims to have done this for a couple of reasonably well known operations so either he moved on before they found him out, or else he was moved on!

Last edited:
give the guy a break its probably about the 100th one he's written..

That's no excuse - every application is just as important as all the others. Do you do shoddy jobs nowadays as it's the 100th time you've done each thing?

Why do we need paragraphs for fitting boilers and punctuation to service a fire or full stops to fit a bathroom plus thank heavens for spell check or it could have been worsere

It's an increasingly competitive marketplace with an increasingly sophisticated and choosy customer base. People make judgements based on presentation and communication.

Give the guy a break some say. Punctuation is not important some say.

I thought the main problems with the email were so obvious that I didn't even mention them but perhaps I need to give a list.

No personal details about the person - we assume he is male!
No name.
No Age.
What town does he live in?
Is he a school leaver or has he had other jobs?
Has he any skills to bring - can he drive?
He mentions the plumbing sector - suggests this is generic he is sending it to every one (carpentry sector), (sales sector), etc.

Also remember we have no vacancy.
He needs to get out attention make us want him. We get loads of these through the year so why should we be interested in him - he needs to tell us something interesting.

All we can base our opinion on is what he sent us. So what does this email show:
That he doesn't take time to put in thought, to do something to the best of his ability, to achieve a high standard (in this email).
That he actually does things in a hurry with little thought and no attention to detail.
Conclusion - will not make a good plumber.

Also - first impressions are important, but that is another issue.

I agree and if someones not got the gumtion to write properly but he can yield a hammer then sorry i wont be hiring him... u still need half a brain in this game.

Again :)
he wants to be a plumber not a rocket engineer or working in a nuclear power station :)

I agree and if someones not got the gumtion to write properly but he can yield a hammer then sorry i wont be hiring him... u still need half a brain in this game.

Dont think anyone that is doing plumbing has even half a brain
let alone the footballers

Last edited:
Me likes the advert on TV with lizard lick towin YOU CANT TRAIN STUPID

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How NOT to apply for an apprentice position in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock