Search the forum,

Discuss How much will it cost to stop the noise? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

When all my appliances and taps are turned off, my pipes seem to be making random "hammer" or sudden "stop" noises every now and then. After a bit they do stop. They don't make any noise when taps are turned on and running though.

They only start to make frequent noises after the taps are off and then gradually have longer pauses in between the noises and finally don't make them anymore.

What is the cause and what can it lead it to? What will happen if I ignore it?

Expansion and contractions of the pipework it will be rubbing on the fabric of the house somewhere tricky one to rectify a shock arrestor may help but if it's on a hot water or heating pipe then maybe not . Regards kop

Is this hot taps or cold or both?

Mains pressure or taps coming off a cistern in the loft?

It seems like both, the main valve is situated under the central heating in the kitchen. I don't know where there pressure one is. On my boiler the pressure is showing just above 1.
[automerge]1572164456[/automerge]
Expansion and contractions of the pipework it will be rubbing on the fabric of the house somewhere tricky one to rectify a shock arrestor may help but if it's on a hot water or heating pipe then maybe not . Regards kop

If I leave it as it is, then what will be the outcome?
[automerge]1572164536[/automerge]
Why is this labled urgent? I mean it`s not causing a flood or anything ultra important is it.

I'm just worried about a potential burst pipe or leaks that may occur.

They only start to make frequent noises after the taps are off and then gradually have longer pauses in between the noises and finally don't make them anymore.
This description makes me think that this is an unvented system with a cold water tank in the roof. The float valve is not turning off smoothly. Maybe it's faulty, maybe the wrong type. Maybe the pipework supplying it is not secured with clips properly.

@Rec2013 asked what type of system it is (message #2) and an answer to that would help pin down the possibilities.

This description makes me think that this is an unvented system with a cold water tank in the roof. The float valve is not turning off smoothly. Maybe it's faulty, maybe the wrong type. Maybe the pipework supplying it is not secured with clips properly.

@Rec2013 asked what type of system it is (message #2) and an answer to that would help pin down the possibilities.
My thinking exactly (but don't you mean a vented, not unvented, system?). A Part 1 (Portsmouth) valve tends to make a noise a bit like a Tardis being parked with the handbrake on even if properly installed. Which I find amusing, but some people probably dislike.

Reply to How much will it cost to stop the noise? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I had new taps fitted within the last year on my bathroom sink. When turning on both the hot or cold tap, there is a vibration/squeaking noise, if the turn the tap fully on the noise stops. I have replaced the flexible hoses to both taps and fitted in-line isolation valves. The noise is now...
Replies
Views
Desperate for some help! Be a life saver of someone can help as suffer from a high intolerance to noise. Moved into new house 1940s (copper pipes) and having serious issues with banging pipes only when central heating is on. Not when running taps We have a wall in living room that has stop tap...
Replies
Views
T
Hello, I have just moved in to a new flat this week and have a problem with noise coming from somewhere around the top of the boiler. It's a loud clicking/knocking sound that lasts about a minute, stops for 20-30 seconds and starts again. It seems to happen at night, starting in the evening...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise coming from my copper water pipes when no water is being used? It basically sounds like the noise you hear after the water shuts off when your toilet bowl...
Replies
Views
Hi I'm dealing with Vaillant Ecotec 824 R1 in one flat. The boiler make a very loud noise when central heating is on - this is random and occurs mostly at night. I'm sharing video showing the problem: So far we changed: 1. Expansion vessel 2. Pump 3. Water pressure gauge - analogue sensor...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock