Search the forum,

Discuss how much wages? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

noel0504

hi all well i think i may have found a plumber to take me on 3 times a week for experience more thank anything, hes in the same boat as nearly all of us recession etc and cant afford to pay me really. Should i ask for a small payment of say £30 per week or something just to cover what my partner will lose from cutting down her hours so i can do mine? Any ideas what would be ok to ask for. many thanks

I worked the first 4 weeks for free. He then offered £20 per day as he felt id become useful.

Bear in mind..
You will slow him down.
You will make errors, which could be costly.
You could upset his customers.

So from his point of view your nothing but a risk at first. Its not always ideal but most domestic plumbers work alone and dont need any help anyway.
If he can afford to bung you a few quid, then good. But dont feel ripped off if he wont/cant. You might find that after a few weeks you become more of an asset and hes happy to give you something.

Good luck :)

Same applies. If you can do small jobs he should pay you, as if you were not there he could not do them anyway. Fair is fair.

Today, I did an outside tap. Yesterday, repaired a toilet. Tuesday, ripped out a leaking radiator. Monday, replaced a leaking sink waste. I am in no way ready to take someone else on. Although, I am sure a lot more experienced plumbers have weeks where the work is not high earning. If I had to pay for help as well that would tip me over the edge.

If I do a larger job where I need a spare pair of hands I ask my Dad, he's a good DIYer, can join pipes, connect wires and be left on his own with minimal help from me. More to the point he's free............... he worked with me for 2 days for a bottle of Remy Martin......

If I had to pay someone else, I may not have got the job.

he is giving you a start for life , just think when you get your ticket.
i think ,if your keen he may pay you a wage,
think of the long term goal
good luck

Hi noel0504,
I am pretty much in the same boat as I work full time on nightshift and work with two different plumbers who live in my village on my rest days and I told both them I would do it free of charge before I started as it is giving me experience whilst doing my training. If they bung me a few quid then all well and done but I don't ask for it. As flatpack said he is giving you a start for life so you might just have to bite the bullet and not get anything. I also would not ask him for payment just incase you upset him, wait a few weeks then if he has not given you anything just start dropping little hints that you are struggling etc.

All the best anyway for the future

Take note Noel! When the plumber is ripping out the old pipework make sure you cut up and bag all the scrap in separate bags of copper and brass (every little bit). It all adds up and could make your payment. Just having a guy around who can keep the work area clean and tidy, who can help you clear up and carry your tools as well as running to the van or nipping to the merchants can save allot of time is worth paying (as long as the plumber actually has enough work). I recently had a young lad to help me on a bathroom suite including full tiling the other week and although he knew absolutely nothing about plumbing he was good as a gofor and i gave him £120 for the week and he was well pleased.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to how much wages? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock