Search the forum,

Discuss how much to supply and fit pressure switch on ideal boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rossi Howen

i have been charged 70 quid to supply and fit a pressure switch on a ideal boiler this took 5 min to undo one screw and 3 push on screws ---- is this right please help

What about all the time the Gas engineer spent in collidge to be come gas safe engineer, what about his time to go and get the part, what about the cost of his tools,what about the cost of his day to day business, what about the ears hard work to become competent engineer????
You don't ask why you are been charged £ 50-£70 p/ h by your local car mechanic to Chang the battery on your car ......
You have payed for what you get !!!

Last edited:
no its not right its quite cheap you are paying for his/hers skill and experience

cost of pressure switch - £35.00
cost of fuel to and from job/merchants - £7.00
General running costs of business £ - ?????
sound of yet another member of the general public thinking their being ripped off - Priceless

min charge of one hour plus parts.
its not what he did, its knowing what to do.

unfortunately no one charges by the miniute or by the screw,!. well in some professions they doo.

bloomin eck £70???? thats flippin dirt cheap.

i just paid £250 for an MOT 2 front tyres and a anti roll thingy on the van, maybe i should complain to my mechanic about this price as it probably only took them a couple of hours. pah. he should only charge me for the tyres and roll bar at trade prices minus the vat, afterall businesses arent there to make a profit :) hehe

Last edited:
No it is not right!!

Think the engineer has made a mistake adding up the total,probably been working really hard,taking good care of his customers,making sure any problems are corrected as soon as possible for a reasonable cost even in this weather

Do not worry though,give him a ring and ask him to call in when passing and you can give him the extra say £35.00 you owe him from his paperwork mistake and maybe a good pat on the back and a big thank you

imho

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he should be paying you. Bloody cheeky man coming round and fixing your boiler and charging you. Tut. What is the world coming to.

came round fixed your boiler and alls ok,whats the problem?makes me mad when i hear remarks like this,as i am sure all other engineers on here would agree,it is not just a case that he was there 5 mins,other factors have to be added to the cost of supply/fit/repair,please think before writing posts like these.or spend loads of money/time to get qualified and fix it yourself.

I don't think the original poster will be posting again somehow :) why would you not question the bill then and there as apposed to taking the time to join a plumbing forum and ask there if you have been ripped off! Some people don't know when they are on to a good thing, If i were you I'd keep using him for life at that price :)

No it is not right!!

Think the engineer has made a mistake adding up the total,probably been working really hard,taking good care of his customers,making sure any problems are corrected as soon as possible for a reasonable cost even in this weather

Do not worry though,give him a ring and ask him to call in when passing and you can give him the extra say £35.00 you owe him from his paperwork mistake and maybe a good pat on the back and a big thank you

imho

well said pal. loads of us on here spend hours reading through posts, so we are knowledgable in the field - so faults can be rectified as quick and conviieniently as possible, some customers dont realise that it takes a lot of unpaid work to become competent in fault finding and rectifying problems.

The fella only asked ;) . Sometimes when I get a price for work I think 'by 'eck that sounds a lot'. When I think about it further I can usually see why. If it is a planned job I normally have a fair idea of price. As said, the charge seems fair with parts etc. I hope the guy got a brew.

my mate told me before about distress purchases and getting a boiler repaired is one of those things, I believe that person got a major result and if that person had a grain of goodness in them they would do what puddle said, i hate ideals

No one goes to a forum complaining about how much it costs to fix their car at £45-75 an hour, why do they always consider plumbers are ripping them off. Got a call at 5 tonight asking about air in the rads stopping the combi working. Sussed out the prat had just bleed the rads for his mum and couldnt find the filling loop, told him where to look, attic etc. He called back again, would I pop out now and fixi t, said yup for £150, he declined so popping in tommorrow for £55, still winging, but he cant fixit and I can, so put up or shut up is my answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to how much to supply and fit pressure switch on ideal boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock