Search the forum,

Discuss How much joist can be cut out fo CH pipes in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

Heating engineer has curved 15mm ch pipes where the wall meets the ceiling instead of notching the joist further and putting them at a 90 degree angle so completely hidden when ceiling is boarded and wall bonded then plastered. He explained that he couldn't notch out the joist anymore and the joist was so tight to the wall he had to do it like that.

Had the plasterer round and he will have to build out the wall 40mm, 'double dot and dab' to ensure the curved section of pipes won't be visible. That is a whole lot of extra time and expense and wasted space to build out a whole length of wall 40mm just to hide 2 small sections of pipes especially when I want to be hanging heavy things on the wall in future. (also don't like coving so can't do that to hide them)

Is it reasonable to ask him to notch out more of the joist (size 7x2), even chase out more of the brick behind if needed to put them in at a 90 degree angle. I could even put metal bat straps across the notch also for belts and braces?

Thanks

(the electric cabling resting on the pipes will be clipped up don't worry)

Attachments

• Photo 22-10-2020, 17 54 03.jpg
    Photo 22-10-2020, 17 54 03.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 54
  • Photo 22-10-2020, 17 54 08.jpg
    Photo 22-10-2020, 17 54 08.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 52
Your not supposed to notch the bottom out but 1/8th the depth of the joist so about 3/4 of an inch max

If you asked a building inspector how much you can notch underside of joist the answer would be none! Building regs very clearly lay out where you can notch or drill joists.
As has been said lazy job floor boards up neat notch chase behind joist job done everyday stuff.

Change it to soldered elbows tight to the bottom of the joist.
Cross batten the joist and board over, lowering the ceiling by 20mm ?

Our job is absolutely impossible to do without notching or holeing joists .
To cut 15 mm off the bottom of that joist is more than ok in my book ,
I am pretty sure the house wont fall down .

If you asked a building inspector how much you can notch underside of joist the answer would be none! Building regs very clearly lay out where you can notch or drill joists.
As has been said lazy job floor boards up neat notch chase behind joist job done everyday stuff.
Thanks, if I get him to do as you described will that be ok as there will then be a notch at the top directly above the small notch at the bottom he's already done?

Off the top of my head it's 1/8th the depth of the joist and ideally no closer than 25% of the span away from the wall. Not always possible I know but yes, straps/plates are a wise idea.

I know a joist is a joist but it is parallel to a brick wall not perpendicular when obviously they carry a greater load. Can the joist not be fixed solidly to the wall with packing between either side??

Not sure why people are so fond of bending copper pipes rather than using elbows. It seems to be a UK thing.

As someone said previously, just use elbows to get rid of those silly "bends" and you'll be good to go. All that is needed is a 3/4" deep notch in that joist, too bad you can't put the wood back, but as the joist is against a brick wall, I doubt it will be problem.

Love the scorch marks on the bottom of the floorboards, doesn't the guy have a piece of alu or tin to put behind there to prevent that?

The reason we prefer bending to using elbows is because we’re plumbers and we like to show it sometimes!
Not to mention the better flow properties and reduction in noise...

Reply to How much joist can be cut out fo CH pipes in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock