Search the forum,

Discuss How much do you actually save by zoning off upstairs and downstairs on a combi in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all

Just debating whether or not to zone my heating upstairs and Down? It's gonna be a new install and the house is under 150m2 but just wondering how much you would actually save on the gas bill as to whether its worth doing

Thanks in advance

Probably not that much, it's probably going to come down more to how much control you want over your system. Then you've got to think about future maintenance as eventually, the zone valves will fail. If it was my house I wouldn't bother as I think trvs give you all the control you need.

I’d be looking at cavity wall and loft insulation, double glazing and good quality exterior doors first, stop all that heat escaping before thinking about zoning.

Thanks for the reply...
The house has cavity wall insulation,
300mm loft insulation and newly installed double glazing windows and rock doors

Honestly I think most people would have them on the same times anyway, during the week especially. On for a couple of hours before work then on for the evening after work. When you get home you want to get changed have a shower etc you want the whole house to be at the desired temperatures.

If you have a huge house then yes it's different you main have your main living areas and rooms that are used occasionally and that's when zoning a property becomes worth it.

In my opinion if you fully balance your heating system using lockshield valves no trv and have a manual heat setting on your boiler and maybe a honeywell froststat placed in the coldest position in your home set to 3 deg above zero
you really cannot go wrong oh and a basic timer
I will wait for the comments ...
...Rob Foster aka centralheatking

I’d be looking at cavity wall and loft insulation, double glazing and good quality exterior doors first, stop all that heat escaping before thinking about zoning.
loft insulation is cheap at this time of the year I always buy now...gnomebase is in dire straights and all that stuff is rock bottom price...get in there before they go bust again
ok they have panic bought bathstore but still a business going down

In my opinion if you fully balance your heating system using lockshield valves no trv and have a manual heat setting on your boiler and maybe a honeywell froststat placed in the coldest position in your home set to 3 deg above zero
you really cannot go wrong oh and a basic timer
I will wait for the comments .
...Rob Foster aka centralheatking
Isnt it in the regs to install trvs on a new Install?

Isnt it a reg to install trvs on a new Install?
of course it is, but I am supplying the real logic, I have been in this industry which I love since 1982 and am a now
a designer of HVAC combi system boiler components ..so I tell it straight....look beyond the regulations if you want I do
Rob Foster aka centralheatking

I thought that was the old reg, isn't it now upstairs downstairs zoned but on a single programmer with two stats under 150m2, then twin time clock and two stats over 150m2
It used to be, not sure when it was changed but documents from 2010 show the 2 zone rule where ones in 2014 show how it's dependant on dwelling size.

Reply to How much do you actually save by zoning off upstairs and downstairs on a combi in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have 3 port value for HW & CH. Loft extension added many years ago so they added a T to go upstairs, only 2 rads up but 11 downstairs covering at leave twice the floor area As per diagram has free flow Up or Down, no way to balance. Works pretty well but last few Rads (in kitchen) are...
Replies
Views
Hi. A new house regulation for a 2 zone heating system because it's bigger that 150sqm. I'm I right in saying zone 1 should be all of the downstairs radiators and zone 2 all of the upstairs radiators ? I have thermostat room programmer down the stairs and another one upstairs. I think the two...
Replies
Views
Hi , i'm new to this forum & would like some advice , i have an upstairs bathroom & was wondering if i could put a cloackroom loo downstairs , my worry is how do i connect to the existing soil pipe , or is it possible to dig under where the new loo will be in case the soil pipe runs along the...
Replies
Views
Hope someone can help. I have dual zone heating in my new build. I have a TPOne-M downstairs and a TPOne-B in the master bedroom upstairs. When I turn on the heating using the downstairs TPOne-M it heats up half of the ground floor, kitchen/diner, hallway and then 2 of the bedrooms upstairs...
Replies
Views
Hi, we had UFH installed dowstairs in our house recently, and I'm not 100% sure that it's connected correctly. I'd be grateful if someone could have a look at the diagrams and tell me if what the plumber did makes sense. The house is heated with an A2W Samsung/Joule heatpump. The buffer...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock