Search the forum,

Discuss How long to power flush in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi guys.
a few questions.
I’ve got a blocked system and am looking at a power flush to resolve it. Heat is getting to the flow tails and into the rads but I’d say at 50% of what they should be. Had a plumber attained and do everything possible ie check valves, TRVs, cleaned out rads with a hose etc therefore the conclusion is the blockage is in the 15mm plastic pipework somewhere.

1) how long would you estimate to power flush just 5 rads (remembering there’s a blockage)
2) would you crack on all day if you hadn’t had a result in a few hours ? Or would you assume if it hadn’t shifted in a few hours, it wasn’t gonna get shifted?
3) given the ideal result is to clear a blockage rather than just cleanse the system, how much would you charge ?

cheers

1. Assuming there weren't a blockage, 10 hours? Add your blockage... hard to say.

2. I wouldn't know if I'd had a result until afterwards as it's not really possible to know how things will be once normal operation resumes.

3. Cost of work depends largely on location so I can't comment. Flushing equipment is expensive so expect to pay for labour, chemicals, and extra the because flushing equipment is coming out.

1. Assuming there weren't a blockage, 10 hours? Add your blockage... hard to say.

2. I wouldn't know if I'd had a result until afterwards as it's not really possible to know how things will be once normal operation resumes.

3. Cost of work depends largely on location so I can't comment. Flushing equipment is expensive so expect to pay for labour, chemicals, and extra the because flushing equipment is coming out.
Thanks Ric. Appreciate the response. I’m east London based.

It is unfortunately a how long is a piece of string exercise. Is it definitely a blockage??

It largely depends on the extent of corrosion and the volume of built up magnetite and iron oxide.
Even for a relatively clean and small system i would allow a whole day.
I dud once however find a system so badly corroded that the internal bore of all the 22mm pipe was about 2-3mm, thats no lie, the extent of corrosion in that system has never been witnessed by either since or before again.
In this particular example it was more beneficial to wrip all the pipework out, replace with new and rectify the cause of corrosion. So as I say it depends not only on size but the level of buildup as well.

a good cleaner in, run for 1 week, check filter ON boiler, and normal flush both ways through boiler most times sorts it, refill , add inhib, job done.

Hi Riley and thanks for picking up on this. It’s 100% a blockage and all avenues have been tried to date ie mains pressure / take of rads / chems etc.
You'll need to replace or bypass the blocked section before flushing or you'll be wasting your time.

Interested to know what old barrier pipe is? I rodded my old plastic pipes but had no idea if they were 'non barrier'? Also why would you ever install 'non barrier' in the first place? Thank you.

Original plastic pipe did not have a barrier layer to prevent ingress of oxygen.
Originally it was all that was available. No issue on potable supplies but an absolute nightmare now on some heating installations.

Reply to How long to power flush in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My Mother-in-law was quoted £1,000 by British Gas to do a power flush on her system as her rads aren't performing well. I was wondering, as 4 radiators need to be upgraded to doubles, would this need to be done if they are drained off and replaced? How does one actually know it needs a power...
Replies
Views
I get orange spots when washing clothes. Please see photo. I think it is rust. I’ve checked there’s no metal in the machine. I have also run a long wash with lemon juice. Neither have solved it. I read power flushing is the answer to rust elsewhere in the system. How can I tell...
Replies
Views
Hey Guys I’ve noticed this weekend that my en-suite toilet pan water level is seeming to regress after an hour. Toilet flushes as normal and water levels are all fine in the cistern. If I flush the toilet and wait all looks fine. However after an hour the water levels have dropped by a couple...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I had my new boiler and 13 radiators installed in July last year, but since installed all the radiators always top half hot and bottom half cold or warm. I know that if radiators top half hot bottom half cold/warm, it indicates there's sludge in the system. But as the radiators were all...
Replies
Views
Hi All This is following on from thread I made a few days ago but can't seem to find I'm in a bit of a bind with my CH design where I want to sort all of my rads and do some other bits including fitting a filter but I'm stumped on how to drain down due to how the system is put together...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock