Search the forum,

Discuss How does a Pop up Bath Plug work? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Plumbers Girl

Normally when I rotate a 4" round cap (really don't know what to call it!) the bath plug moves up and down to allow the water to drain or fill the bath. A few days ago whilst it popped up ok it was necessary to push it down. I'm a plumber's daughter and thought I would fix this rather than bother my husband. No problem with adjusting screw nut on plug so I held the plug down and turned the cap!!!! Plug is now firmly closed and I've no idea how to raise it again. The cap thing just turns freely, obviously no longer attached to anything and trying to raise the plug with a knife hasn't succeeded either.

Any idea how I can retrieve the situation before my husband returns. Forgot to say that there is water in the bath and we go on holiday at the crack of dawn tomorrow.

Any help would be very gratefully received.

Just looked on B&Q site 4" cap is called a handwheel and it looks like the thing joining the wheel and the pop up plug is probably disconnected - not sure how that helps me fix it though!

Last edited by a moderator:
You can pop these up with your fingers usually by pressing on one side of the plug and then get your fingernails under it. Should be easy for a woman.

Thanks Howsie - not so easy with arthritic hands and the possibilty of breaking a nail though!

Seriously if I do succeed in getting the plug out will it be necessary to replace the whole thing?

I'm never going to hear the end of this. I told him on the phone what I had done and I've been threatened with a cold dirty bath tomorrow!

Empty as much water out as you can, I had one like this that broke. It was much easier to pull up when empty.

They are usually cable operated and are always breaking. Replaced mine with a clicker waste.

Thanks Ricky. I wonder if I could get any purchase with the sucker thing I use to take out the light bulbs?

We really can't complain because it was fitted an unbelievable 26 years ago.

What's a "clicker waste"? Would it be easier to fit? Would we have to replace the bath?

Last edited by a moderator:
Blimey you've had a pop up waste for 26 years, must of been a decent one. A clicker waste is basically the same as a pop up but instead of using the hand wheel to operate it you just push down on the plug and where it is spring loaded it just clicks open and closed.

The bath doesn't need to be replaced just a new overflow and clicker waste.

Thanks Meady. I actually like the design of the pop up plug because when we had our kitchen redesigned they installed a clicker (didn't know that was what it was called) but it means that if there is really hot or mucky water in there you have to get your hand burned or dirty to get to the plug.

So if I am looking to replace the pop up is it worth trying to source it from somewhere more upmarket than the usual high street stores (am I allowed to mention a company name?)?

Still no success in getting the plug out! Would I get any leverage if I used the blocked pipe thingy?

Yeh I would spend a bit more money, nothin stupidly expensive but don't be tight :)

would a clicker matter in a bath, the water isn't going to be to hot that you can't put your hand in it or to dirty as you've just been sat in it :)

there much more reliable in my eyes, but like I said if you prefer a pop up buy a decent one.

Cheers Meady. We'll definitely take your advice.

Oh I've just seen the little "Thanks" icon - Should I have used that instead of making another post?

I have no idea to be honest only been on here a couple of weeks myself :)

The Thanks button is used to Thank someone for the time they took to reply with a useful comment. Try it on my post ;)

The Thanks button is used to Thank someone for the time they took to reply with a useful comment. Try it on my post ;)

Dont think that deserves a like, took to long to come along and reply :)

I don't like the clicker ones because you have to put your hand in, I know there all the rage.
replace the pop up waste as a unit there about £15-£20

Heavens I went thanking mad earlier! if I have missed any thanks, please accept my apologies!

Seriously managed to get plug out with sucker end of a toy arrow, after I'd emptied most of the water out, Thanks so much all of you I really do appreciate your time and advice.

Now all you have to do is wait for your other half to go or a bath and blame him entirely! My mrs does it all the time! It was fine until you touched it!
P.s have a nice holiday!

After 47 years you'd have thought that I would have thought of that but I;ve already fessed up!

I think the key to getting a pop to work ok is to raise AND lower the plug on the rotary wheel rather than try to force it down. But as a previous poster has said, if it's knacked, about £15 at Screwfix. Just clear silicone the big washer underneath. Me, I've gone back to a plug on a chain on my own bath. It really is this seasons thing.:yes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How does a Pop up Bath Plug work? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock