Search the forum,

Discuss How do I wire up my UP2 in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, my British gas 330 boiler packed up and I was told it was beyond economical repair. Although insured and serviced every year, my insurance company refused to compensate me to the value of a new boiler, despite selling me their product upon that basis. I was laid off as a result of CV-19 and money is tight, so I sought a used BG 330 that had been refurbished. I was lucky enough to find one, but it wasn't connected to a UP2, but some other controller which I didn't buy, (couldn't afford it) and because my existing UP2 has functioned without any problems. I did try to get a gas engineer to do the job for me, but no one in my locality would fit a refurbished unit for me. Because this is a straight swap, like for like and I am reasonably conversant with wiring diagrams and electrical circuits, I have now installed the boiler myself and wish to wire up the UP2 to the 330 in the correct manner, before calling out a Vaillant engineer, as they are still contracted to maintain and service my boiler, despite the fact that they also wouldn't fit a refurbished unit for me. British gas installed the original 330 boiler and charged me £5500 for the privilege (Yes I know I got ripped off, but my wife insisted on BG at the time, now she wouldn't give them a second look.) Could anyone advise me as to how to wire up the UP2 correctly? The UP2 has five wires, Brown (live) Blue (neutral) and Green/Yellow (earth) alongside a black and a grey wire running from the control box up to the water tank pump ( I assume that this is for the pump) which in turn, returns back down to be connected to the 330 boiler connection box. The connection box has eight poles. Pole (8) = Pump Live. (7) =Pump Neutral. (6) = Earth. (5) = Earth. (4) = Neutral. 3= Frost stat. (2) =Switch Live. (1) = Mains Live. The existing connections to the main circuit board on the 330 has three inputs, one white and two black covered wires. The white covered input lead occupies Pole 1, (Brown live) pole 4 (Blue neutral) and pole 5 (Y/G earth). A black input lead occupies poles 2 (Red wire) and pole 3 (Black wire) The second black covered wire occupies Pole 8 (Brown live) pole 7 (Blue neutral) and pole 6 g/y earth) The 230v mains connection to the UP2 is located adjacent to the boiler. Many thanks Vince.

This is a good advert for not taking out these insurance schemes. Just like all insurances, their main job is to figure out how not to pay out.

Lot to be said for having a local gsr come in once a year for a service and ongoing repairs.

That said it's a big no no to be touching gas when not competent.

As above you shouldn’t of changed the boiler your self how do you know it’s safe

best to get a gas safe engineer out to quote for a new boiler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How do I wire up my UP2 in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I live in a really remote part of the Highlands, so paying for a plumber (or electrician?) to do this will be brutally expensive, so I need to do it myself. I have a Grant Combi 26e boiler. I'm replacing the old thermostat with a new one. Although the boiler is a combi, I think the old...
Replies
Views
Good morning all I hope you are all well? I am after a bit of advice please, I am looking to fit a Drayton LWC1 wiring centre into my boiler circuit as the wiring is incorrect, someone has linked the Neutral and HW off wires in the programmer circuit for some reason. Looking at the wiring...
Replies
Views
I would like to install a Energenie MiHome Smart Thermostat, it has 2 wire inputs W and COM, my existing thermostat has 3 wires a red live, yellow (Not sure) and a blue wire that is connect to the earth for some reason. it is an old Altech thermostat. Does anyone know were the wires would go on...
Replies
Views
Hi I’m looking to install the above. Atm I have an older one fitted (old wireless thermostat and old receiver that’s wired into my combi boiler. Pic below shows how my current one is wired, live neutral and would the 2x black wires be switch wires and would matter what way they were wired in? My...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Just wanted to share my experience with "upgrading" an S plan setup to Opentherm and Vaillant Control Center (VR66). There are a few threads on a few different forums but I wanted to share a full write-up with all the steps needed, benefits and costs. Overall, I fully recommend...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock