Search the forum,

Discuss How do I totally rid tank and toilet bowl of floating white mold in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

D

Deleted member 121111

I read a slight report that TREE TEA OIL was the best solution. I have tried straight bleach, after diluting it in prior tests. Did little or NOTHING.
Citric acid is said to maybe help, but not REMEDY.

I’m seeking something to halt growth for 60-120 days!

Are you sure it's mould not some form of corrosion from metal part(s) in the tank?
I replied to this yesterday. I must need training in HOW to use this site. It is very cluttered with junk to distract me. My answer said I can’t find any metal that seems disintegrating. Most items in the tank are plastic, rubber, and a short stainless steel chain. What would make metal become white and feel like shaving foam?

I replied to this yesterday. I must need training in HOW to use this site. It is very cluttered with junk to distract me. My answer said I can’t find any metal that seems disintegrating. Most items in the tank are plastic, rubber, and a short stainless steel chain. What would make metal become white and feel like shaving foam?
Cast aluminium components can produce white corrosion in various forms. If everything is stainless steel it's not likely to be a problem.

IME, acid (vinegar) or bleach does deal with white mould on surfaces but can take several applications. If you have a persistent problem, mould might be getting in to your cistern via the water supply finding the damp environment amenable. You might want to consider getting your water supply and/or pipework tested for mould.

sept 2021
I still don’t understand how to work this website. They just sent me a message from someone who writes skillfully, and who included lots of photos. One showed the “white floating stuff” that mimics the stuff I started this thread about. Well, I spent a lot of activity on my “white stuff”, not satisfied with plumbers’ diagnoses of metal erosion. Instead I set my mind on college botany course (65 years ago) and used Google to study fungi and molds. Settled on white vergilius. Mix two cups water with 2 teaspoons of Tree Tea Oil (bought quart from Amazon, and now believe it will last me 20 years!). Spray in tank. You may see it cuts the white stuff away from the walls, the ball and the arms, etc. Flush, flush, flush and when tank fills pour a tablespoon of the TTO into it. Let it sit. Like half a day. Flush, flush, flush. I used old toothbrush around ball, on arm, on crannies in the tank. Keep lid OFF the tank (cause it is the warm, dark environment that aids the mold growing). Keep toilet flushed esp when temperatures are 73-78 degree range. Keep checking, keep spray bottle ready to tend DAILY for week or more.This mold has airborne spores and will reproduce forever. Housekeeper came, lowered water, used Clorox (speaks Spanish which I don’t) I’m sure, and I asked her to clean out the floor of the tank as best she could. Now, some weeks later, the lid is on the tank, and the spray bottle sits ready to use. Good luck.

Reply to How do I totally rid tank and toilet bowl of floating white mold in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock