• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net - The international free plumbing advice forum. Professional plumbers sharing advice with fellow plumbers and DIY alike. Register for free today! - Checkout the Plumbing Advice forum and then our Plumbing Videos area which still needs populating.

Discuss How do I stop rusting? in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

cheddarman

The bathroom basin mixer tap was installed without a chrome washer to hid the joint between it and the porcelain sink, which didn't look very nice.
I bought the biggest chrome washer I could find and then turned out the inner diameter to fit the tap column.
Of course, having removed the chrome from. the insiful!
Is there a product I can get that will stop the rust, seal it?
Thanks

You don't have permission to view attachments. Attachments are hidden.

Attachments

You don't have permission to view attachments. Attachments are hidden.

ShaunCorbs

Staff member
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Solutions
Didn’t you paint it after machining it ?

ShaunCorbs

Staff member
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Solutions
Need to sand the rust off and paint it with any metal Paint

Basher

Short term Kurust or this might help:
A longer term fix would be to send it to a chrome plating outfit!

Ric2013

Plumber
I find red oxide primer to be one of the longer lasting anti-rust paints.

You might also find Waxoyl (the yellowy waxy liquid you spray into box sections of motor vehicles) would work well in your situation.

cheddarman

Thanks guys. I'll take it off, lightly skim it again and get it re plated I think. Permanent!!

cheddarman

I've only got a little wood lathe so not up to big machine jobs unfortunately. Mid you, there is a garage across the road??????

Reply to How do I stop rusting? in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net